Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rsync and Mountain Lion Server

I came upon some strange behavior while trying to perform an rsync operation from remote machines to a freshly installed Mountain Lion Server. I'm using Mountain Lion as opposed to Mavericks because of the multitude of problems I've had with the latest OS. This might be the last nail in the coffin for OS X as a server platform.

Essentially, when performing an rsync operation to the server, the server eventually "runs out of hard disk space." I put quotes around this because without warning the disk space will drop to virtually nothing, with hundreds of gigs of free space disappearing. Once the rsync operations have stopped, eventually the server will return the free space. I can't find anything in the logs, or I'm not looking in the correct ones.

Any help you may be able to provide would be amazing. Thanks in advance!

I have included a video: https://owncloud.wiredtortoise.com/public.php?service=files&t=9835a02672f1afa359 f87b1ba74d92fb

Skip to a bit before 2:00 for the fun.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:29 PM

If you are using the Apple provided rsync, that may be your problem. It is old, filled with potential security issues, and really is not 100% compliant with the Apple file system, extended attributes, or ACLs. You should probably consider heading over to rsync.samba.org and get 3.0.7, 3.0.8, or 3.0.9. I've had issues with 3.1 and have not revisited it. Your mileage may vary. Building it is easy but you do need Xcode.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Server" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:29 PM in response to qbdn

If you are using the Apple provided rsync, that may be your problem. It is old, filled with potential security issues, and really is not 100% compliant with the Apple file system, extended attributes, or ACLs. You should probably consider heading over to rsync.samba.org and get 3.0.7, 3.0.8, or 3.0.9. I've had issues with 3.1 and have not revisited it. Your mileage may vary. Building it is easy but you do need Xcode.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Server" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

rsync and Mountain Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.