Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to install itunes after downloading Windows 8.1. I get an Windows Error 2 message-- "Apple Application Support is required to run itunes helper." Any suggestions?

I am trying to install itunes (64 bit) after downloading Windows 8.1 on my HP Laptop. I keep getting an error message Windows Error 2--"Apple App;ication Support is required to run itunes helper" Does anyone have any simple suggestions for a user with limited knowledge of Computers?

Windows 8

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:13 PM

With the Error 2, let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR suitable for your PC (there's a 32-bit Windows version and a 64-bit Windows version):

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, see if iTunes will launch without the error now.

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 1:13 PM in response to GHA3388

With the Error 2, let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR suitable for your PC (there's a 32-bit Windows version and a 64-bit Windows version):

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you? If so, see if iTunes will launch without the error now.

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Dec 4, 2014 6:59 PM in response to b noir

b noir:

I am running Windows 8.1 and trying to install the latest version of iTunes (v 12). I was getting the same error messages referenced above about Apple Application Support. Your directions and WinRAR did allow Apple Application Support to install properly, but iTunes 12 will not run. I get no error messages, iTunes just fails to load. Any ideas? Thank you.

Dec 5, 2014 3:20 PM in response to palmerlaw

Try working through TS1717: iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues to start with.

Otherwise, for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

I am trying to install itunes after downloading Windows 8.1. I get an Windows Error 2 message-- "Apple Application Support is required to run itunes helper." Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.