Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've been alerted to a "serious" identity theft threat to Mac users by my bank. I am running OSX 10.6.8. Can anybody tell me if this threat is real and what issues I might expect if I upgrade? An associate upgraded to Mountain Lion and had many issues.

I've been alerted to a "serious" operating system threat to Mac users that may expose the system to identity theft. I am currently running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and have been reluctant to upgrade to Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard, etc. since an associate upgraded and had many functionality issues. Can anybody tell me if this threat is real and what would be the best system to upgrade to and what issues I might expect? I also use Microsoft Remote Destop Connection for Mac to connect to my company's windows server and I want to avoid any connection or functionality problems there.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2014 1:12 PM in response to NateS56

Nothing has been announced by Apple about a vulnerability with Snow Leopard. Contact your bank directly, not through in links in that notification to you refer to and talk with their security people to see if this is legitimate or a phishing attack. There have been a lot of those the past couple of months so talk directly with your bank about it.

I've been alerted to a "serious" identity theft threat to Mac users by my bank. I am running OSX 10.6.8. Can anybody tell me if this threat is real and what issues I might expect if I upgrade? An associate upgraded to Mountain Lion and had many issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.