Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export .m4a Audio File with Cover Art?

Hi, I recently upgraded to GarageBand 10.0.1 after purchasing a new MBP and have been mostly successful in finding all of the changes in the app, except this one. I use GB to create an audio podcast weekly, and in previous versions, I had the ability to export an audio file with the iTunes cover art already attached to it. I cannot find this feature in GB 10.0.1. Am I missing something? Thx for your time and any help given.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:01 PM

Podcasts are no longer (or not yet) supported in GarageBand 10.0.

But you should still have GarageBand '11 in a subfolder "GarageBand 6.0.5" in your Applications folder. So for the time being, use GarageBand '11 to add the cover art. Both versions can be used concurrently without problems.

The only video supported by GarageBand 10 is the "Movie track". You can add import a movie for reference, whenyou create a sound track, and then write the soundtrack to the video file.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:01 PM in response to andybarlow

Podcasts are no longer (or not yet) supported in GarageBand 10.0.

But you should still have GarageBand '11 in a subfolder "GarageBand 6.0.5" in your Applications folder. So for the time being, use GarageBand '11 to add the cover art. Both versions can be used concurrently without problems.

The only video supported by GarageBand 10 is the "Movie track". You can add import a movie for reference, whenyou create a sound track, and then write the soundtrack to the video file.

Mar 3, 2014 2:07 PM in response to léonie

So it sounds like I have 2 options:

1. Do everything in GB 6.0.5 & do not use GB (10.0.1) to create audio files for iTunes (I'm just making a .m4a, call it what you like, I guess).

2. Do everything in GB 10.0.1 & add the cover art in iTunes.

That is disappointing. Usually Apple is better about taking away steps to creating things, not adding to the number of steps required to create things. 😐

Mar 3, 2014 2:20 PM in response to andybarlow

That is disappointing. Usually Apple is better about taking away steps to creating things, not adding to the number of steps required to create things. 😐

GarageBand has been released a bit early. I am hoping, there is more to come. Otherwise, the installer would not have left the old version installed. It is a clear sign, that Apple knows, that some important features are still missing in GB 10.0. For the time being, I am starting the projects in GB '11, and add the finishing touches - drummer, arpeggiator in GarageBand 10.0.

Mar 3, 2014 2:26 PM in response to léonie

Awesome, thanks for your responses léonie. I hope Apple adds back this functionality, as it seems basic to audio creation, and at some basic level at some point in time not too long ago, GB was about creating audio. I am finding these shortcomings also mean any artist/composer credits that were previously included must be added in iTunes as well. It's easy enough to do, of course, but it is just an extra step.

Export .m4a Audio File with Cover Art?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.