Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unbearably slow Mavericks performance

Hi All,

Along with many others on here I'm experiencing crippling Mavericks performance on my Early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch. I get almost constant beachballing from almost everything, including mundane tasks such as scrolling and moving Finder windows, typing, changing browser tabs etc. As a clue it took 2mins 20 secs to start up from the chime, and this was 'til the icons and dock had appeared. It'd probably be a good 20 seconds more before I'd be able to do anything.

Here's my EtreCheck results...

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,1

1 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2 cores

4 GB RAM

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 384 MB

System Software:

OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) - Uptime: 0 days 1:24:57

Disk Information:

Hitachi HTS545032B9A302 disk0 : (320.07 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 319.21 GB (225.89 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5970H

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Configuration files:

/etc/hosts - Count: 29

Kernel Extensions:

at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4052 - SDK 10.8)

Launch Daemons:

[System] at.obdev.littlesnitchd.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Agents:

[System] at.obdev.LittleSnitchUIAgent.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.google.keystone.agent.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.spotify.webhelper.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 12.0.0.70 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

Flash Player: Version: 12.0.0.70 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

NP_2020Player_IKEA: Version: 5.0.93.0 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.1.5.17733 3rd-Party support link

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.1.0 3rd-Party support link

npgtpo3dautoplugin: Version: 0.1.44.29 - SDK 10.5 3rd-Party support link

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.1.5.17733 3rd-Party support link

Silverlight: Version: 5.0.61118.0 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 14.9.0 - SDK 10.7 Outdated! Update

Audio Plug-ins:

BluetoothAudioPlugIn: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.9

AirPlay: Version: 2.0 - SDK 10.9

AppleAVBAudio: Version: 203.2 - SDK 10.9

iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.3 - SDK 10.9

iTunes Plug-ins:

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.4 - SDK 10.9

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player 3rd-Party support link

Growl 3rd-Party support link

Old Applications:

None

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

12% mds

6% mds_stores

3% WindowServer

1% EtreCheck

1% coresymbolicationd

Top Processes by Memory:

119 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent

102 MB Google Chrome

64 MB Google Chrome Helper

49 MB Finder

45 MB mds

Virtual Memory Information:

1.38 GB Free RAM

1.29 GB Active RAM

367 MB Inactive RAM

995 MB Wired RAM

398 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

A few other points...

Spotlight seems to be constantly indexing or trying to index. It's ALWAYS estimating index time. When it seems to have finished (ie i can do a search) coming out and going back in prompts it to start indexing again. Is this normal?

I tried to do a permissions check (in safe mode as well) but it fails. Doing a disk check says there are no problems.

I get a lot of HDD thrashing.

When I checked my activity monitor a while ago it had very high CPU readings for kernal activity. Normal?

I got my MBP with Lion and have since upgraded to ML and then upgraded to Mavericks, so I've never had a clean install (erase and install) which is my next port of call. Probably a good idea to do this once every few years right?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:34 PM

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and

after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears.

Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Reinstall the 10.9.2 update: OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update (Combo).

4. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Spinfaster

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and

after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears.

Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

4. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Mar 3, 2014 3:00 PM in response to Spinfaster

Spotlight seems to be constantly indexing or trying to index. It's ALWAYS estimating index time. When it seems to have finished (ie i can do a search) coming out and going back in prompts it to start indexing again. Is this normal?

No, not at all. Nor is "very high CPU readings for kernel activity" which can be due to a number of causes, some of them hardware-related. You can use Apple Hardware Testto verify the system's cooling fan is working properly, which can be one cause, as can anything else that impedes proper cooling including too much dust within the case.

Reset the SMC to rule that out as another potential cause.

Then, rebuild the Spotlight database by following these instructions:

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

I tried to do a permissions check (in safe mode as well) but it fails.

What fails, specifically? What does Disk Utility's log file show? To read it, select Window > Show Log.

Rebuilding the Spotlight index may not help if disk permissions have been corrupted and Disk Utility can't repair them, in which case you'll need more in-depth assistance.

Mar 3, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Spinfaster

Spinfaster wrote:

I tried to do a permissions check (in safe mode as well) but it fails. Doing a disk check says there are no problems.

I'm unsurprised it failed to repair in safe mode - volume repair needs to be done when that volume is not mounted & in use. Safe mode still uses the boot volume, which is why starting in recovery mode has been suggested.

The recovery partition should exist on your main boot disk (most tools hide it).

See this for more info on recovery mode…

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

This should clarify what safe mode is…

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

You don't seem to have any red flags in terms of obviously old software, but it is worth checking that it's up to date, especially the ones labeled [system].

It's worth noting if you boot from the installer & select the default option ('reinstall OS X') it will not erase the users & Applications, it will replace the system files only, so it can sometimes help in the case where an installation is corrupted or damaged in some way. Back up first 🙂

Mar 3, 2014 3:57 PM in response to Spinfaster

Spinfaster wrote:

Configuration files:

That struck me as intriguing. It looks like EtreCheck is counting up the hosts that you have in there.

It may not be the reason for your issues but it could wreak havoc with networking if you have pointed certain domains to localhost or somewhere else.

Hopefully you know how to remove/comment out the entries for testing? Post the output of …

cat /etc/hosts

…if you need help - some of those entries will kill the OS if you remove them.

Mar 3, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

Spinfaster wrote:

Configuration files:

That struck me as intriguing. It looks like EtreCheck is counting up the hosts that you have in there.

Yes, I noticed that myself in an issue being worked last week. The number is consistent with a series of entries involving 127.0.0.1 and various Adobe license registration databases world wide. It's often provided in conjuction with certain Torrent sites which offer Adobe products for download.

I don't see any additional evidence here, so it may be something migrated from some time ago.

Mar 3, 2014 5:03 PM in response to Spinfaster

I would see if things are better if you uninstall Google Chrome per unistall instructions on Google's website.

Google software isn't playing well with OS X Mavericks, right now.

If you do not like Safari, as an alternative browser, try Mozilla FireFox.

Also, there is now a Mavericks compatible version of Little Snitch that you may want to update to.

Also, make sure all installed Apple AND third party software is updated to Mavericks compatible versions.

Make sure all of you Web browser Internet plugins and extensions are all up to date with Mavericks versions.

Mar 3, 2014 5:14 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Google software isn't playing well with OS X Mavericks, right now.

Do you have details or references?

I know there were some initial issues, but I was under the impression that those had been worked. I know it's still a 32-bit app, which will always limit it to some extent. I haven't been using it much, but have never seen any issues when I do.

Mar 3, 2014 5:29 PM in response to MadMacs0

Both Google Drive and Chrome are still causing issues with some Macs running Mavericks.

I am not, currently, aware of any recent updates from Google that have resolved the performance issues of their software on Mavericks.

That is why I still recomend users, temporarily unistall these and stop using them until Google resolves its compatibility issues with OS X Mavericks.

If you have a link or evidence Google has fixed its issues, I'll stop recommending that users, temporarily, uninstall these apps.

Mar 3, 2014 6:13 PM in response to Spinfaster

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the arrow button below the icon.

Mar 3, 2014 6:51 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Both Google Drive and Chrome are still causing issues with some Macs running Mavericks.

I am not, currently, aware of any recent updates from Google that have resolved the performance issues of their software on Mavericks.

I have never been a Google Drive user, but am aware of what seem to be continuing issues there. If I have some time I might check that out for you.

My Google Chrome has probably been updated more than a dozen times since Mavericks arrived and that plus the relative silence concerning Chrome recently, both here and in another Apple forum that I've been participating in.

If you have a link or evidence Google has fixed its issues, I'll stop recommending that users, temporarily, uninstall these apps.

No, I was hoping you might have something. The only thing I could locate today from Google was recognition of two issues: Avast! with all of OS X and Mavericks scrolling issues that they show a workaround for. Details at Known Issues under "+ Mac Issues".

Mar 3, 2014 8:37 PM in response to Spinfaster

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time when you had the problem. Select the messages logged after the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

For example, if the problem is a slow startup taking three minutes, post the messages timestamped within three minutesafter the boot time, not before. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the beginning of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

Unbearably slow Mavericks performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.