Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move my iTunes library onto Time Capsule and share it across my devices (similar to a NAS drive)?

Hi

Would anyone know if I can I move my iTunes library onto Time Capsule and share it across my devices (similar to a NAS drive)?

This would give me some hard drive space on my iMac and more importantly mean my iTunes library is available all the time. Although I have Home sharing I need my iMac on and if not I use iTunes on iCloud I always seem to be downloading the tracks I need.

Current configuration / devices:

iMac 20-inch, Mid 2007 - nearly full!

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OSX Mavericks

Time Capsule (1TB)

iPad

iPod Touch

Apple TV

iTunes 11.1.5 (5)

Many thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Time Capsule

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 2:47 PM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Rural_Signal

What "devices" are these? By devices I normally understand i-devices and not computers. How many computers?

If you put the whole library on the Time Capsule (TC) you can only use it with one computer at a time because the iTunes library file can only be opened by one copy of iTunes at a time. If you put only media on the TC but have a copy of the library files on each computer you can use media by multiple computers but you then have the headache of trying to make sure that any changes done to the collection by one computer are mirrored by the libraries on the other computers which will be more or less independent.

I hope this TC isn't also your backup drive. When the TC drive fails (and it will someday) then your whole collection is gone. Don't rely upon Apple to always have copies for you to download. For one, if a distributor puylls an item then it is gone period. Additionally, Apple only keeps media, not the actual organization that is your set of library files. If you do this, buy another backup drive.

Can I move my iTunes library onto Time Capsule and share it across my devices (similar to a NAS drive)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.