I would like to make a smart album that would show me which images are lacking originals but don't see the right criteria to check- anyone have ideas?
To search for images with missing originals use a "File Status" rule:
File status is missing, or "file status is off line".
File > New > Smart album
- Click "Add Rule" in the Smart Settings HUD
(If it matters? All previews are 'don't limit' and '12'. Why? Because I need to drag images from Preview to FileMaker; when you drag from aperture you drag previews, not originals, and I need to drag the full size image).
Just a thought: That will require a lot of extra disk space for the previews. When you need to save space, you might consider to use "File > Export" instead of dragging, and export the versions to the Desktop, then drag from the Desktop to Filemaker. That is one step more, but would help, if the library should grow too large.
Or be sure, to create only previews for the images that need sharing.
That's exactly what I needed to know, Léonie. The hint about Preview size is a good one, too, but adds another layer of work, you know? I found it easier to just do it for all of them. So far the size is small, about 70G, quite manageaqble, <9500 images. Nothing like the size I see others (bragging) about :-)
The drag method is very inelegant. But until there's a way for Filemaker to access the library, I am stuck with it.
What is your Filemaker version? In Filemaker '11 I can use the Media Browser to access the Aperture library: It will show, when I use "Insert > Picture" and then scroll down to the "Photos" icon in the "Media" section of the sidebar.
Then I can browse the Aperture library from within the File Chooser, without having to open Aperture. But the Media Browser also requires that the images have previews, only you do not need to open Aperture to access the images, for exemple:
We are on FM Pro Advanced v13. I use Advanced because I need the additional scripting utilities and the custom menus. I know about Media Browser but never thought of using it. Maybe I should describe the project.
I'm preparing a reference book on plant material for zones 10+ (Tropicals), and in the course of this work over the past few years have been collecting photographs (with the iPhone more and more, as it turns out). The photo collection is nowhere near complete; I am adding perhaps 50 images a week and will be doing so for another year or so– have to catch the plants flowering.
The editorial portion of the research is managed in Scrivener (that's where I write my weekly column so I'm used to it). FMP isnt really suitable as a text editor, although I do use it in my practice for memos and proposal. And believe it or not, I track citations in TextEdit.
Back to FMP: as the research progresses we have mocked up pages, thinking how they might look. I also use the database in my normal practice as a landscape architect. Both of these uses require photos, but the photos are in Aperture.
The workflow in Aperture involved assigning stars to images and uploading them to Flickr for my co-author to review.
To get the images over to FMP, I just drag them from Aperture to FMP container fields. And THAT is why I have the previews so big.
This is very far from ideal mostly because there is no linked relationship. In the end, I always imagined I would delte all photos from FMP and start over, dragging images to the appropriate record. This actually makes some sense because sometimes there are a dozen photos of each plant but only 6 container fields in each record. I could add more but realistically getting a dozen into print will be a miracle. More, even less so.
That's my story and suggestions are very welcome. It's clunky as ****.