Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I no longer can download photos from my Canon SX50 HS to i-photo

I had been downloading photos from my new Canon SX50 HS routinely for several weeks and then they no longer downloaded. I-photo would not even connect to the camera. I have spent considerable time removing various files and downloads but still the camera does not connect. Any ideas?

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 4:44 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2014 7:40 PM in response to wyndsome

Welcome to Apple Discussions

Have you tried the camera and cable in a different device (I suspect a damaged cable or camera port).

If you have a removable memory card in the camera, as a work around you could purchase a USB memory card reader with the proper interface (some of these can be used with multiple memory card types) put the card in it, then attach the reader... It should be identified by iPhoto and work just the way your camera did.

If the card reader fails then the memory card itself is damaged.

Message was edited by: themachead

Mar 3, 2014 8:42 PM in response to wyndsome

Does Image Capture (in your appications folder) see the camera

If it does then use it to get the photos off the card - it not then you need a card reader - once you get the cards off the memory card then use the camera's format command to reformat and erase the card

once this is resolved a best practice to is to never have any computer program (including iPhoto) delete the photos from the card but to import the photos and keep them and then after at least one successful backup cycle has completed and then reformat the card -- I use three very large (32 GB) cards in rotation so I do not reformat for typically a year or more giving me one more long term backup of my photos

LN

I no longer can download photos from my Canon SX50 HS to i-photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.