Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing After iTunes Update to 11.1.5.5 - HELP!

I am unable to enable Home Sharing after updating to iTunes 11.1.5.5.

I've updated my Apple TV (3rd Gen) along with iTunes 11.1.5.5, restarted all my devices (iPad Air with iOS 7.0.6, iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.6, Apple TV 3rd Gen and Windows 7 64bit PC), restarted my cable modem and router, logged out of iTunes Home Sharing, then back in, restarted my PC AGAIN and verified that all my devices are on the exact same network. My firewall settings are completly unchanged since prior to updating to iTunes 11.1.5.5 and I've verified this. I've also even tried switching all devices to the other network band on my router and switched them all back to no avail.

This has become so cumbesome with Apple every time there is an update, I crindge every time I see one available. Someone at Apple needs to WORK THIS BUG OUT!!! Or, Chormecast will be my new friend!! I thought Android devices were buggy, but I'm having second thoughts as I've NEVER had this much trouble with such a simple networking concept. iTunes Home Sharing has seriously become a complete mess!!

Any advice here???? All I want to do is watch my movie!!! 😢

My Setup:

iPad Air WiFi 32GB, iOS 7.0.6

iPhone 5 64GB iOS 7.0.6

Apple TV 3rd Generation (connected to wireless router via WiFi)

Windows 7 64bit PC (connected to wireless router via ethernet CAT5)

NetGear WDNR 4500v2 N900 Dual Band Wireless Router (Verified all devices logged into the same network)

Arris DG860 DocSys III Cable Modem w/ Time Warner 20gb Internet Speed

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4, 32GB

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 5:29 PM

25 replies

Mar 7, 2014 3:29 PM in response to mario49

I reviewed all 3 links above and followed all applicable steps to no avail.

After logging out of Home Sharing in iTunes again, restarting iTunes, logging back into Home Sharing and trying again, I was able to connect via Apple TV and my iOS devices. Then, after about 30 min, iTunes "Stopped working" and had to be restarted. Since then, I am unable to connect to Home Sharing via my devices again.

I'm up in arms at this point. This is completly rediculous and quite frankly I'm fed up. I purchased a ChromeCast and have had ZERO problems with connectivity or streaming.

If anyone has further insight, great. I would be happy to entertain possible solutions. Until then, I will enjoy my movies with a non-Apple product going forward.

Mar 12, 2014 4:29 PM in response to jportrx3

I got this working and my solution was to reformat my notebook and install Windows 8.1. All my Apple products now sync with home sharing again with no problems. I suspect my compter must have had some gremlins that had eaten away at some of the software functionality over time and that impacted on Apple home sharing connectivity - no clues on how.

Mar 13, 2014 3:40 AM in response to jportrx3

I was able to get mine to start working. After further troubleshooting, I had tried disconnecting my desktop from the wireless router via the ethernet cable and connecting the desktop to the wireless router via Wi-Fi. I am now able to use home sharing again. But, when I reconnect my desktop computer to the wireless router via ethernet cable, I start having the issue again. Prior to the last iTunes update, whether or not my desktop was connected to the wireless router via ethernet or Wi-Fi didn't matter. It always works the same no matter what. Now, the only way I can use home sharing is when my desktop computer is connected to my Internet connection via Wi-Fi.

This definitely was not the case prior to the last iTunes update and Apple needs to address this issue. Whether or not my desktop is connected via ethernet, or Wi-Fi, I'm still on the same network. In my case, the only way home sharing works for me is when all devices are wirelessly connected to my network.

Mar 14, 2014 12:26 PM in response to jaysun029

I've been dealing with this issue as well, even bought a new router to help solve it, but no luck. Tried firewall exceptions, etc.

Then I saw your wireless workaround, thought it might work on my desktop, and I have an old usb wireless stick. I plug it in and immediately Airplay shows up. Worked like a charm.

And here is the crazy bit. I get my music streaming, and then just unplug the wireless usb. Airplay keeps working! So it is clearly a bug that Apple can fix, and is not a network setup issue. I'm currently connected just over the wired connection and everything works fine. I'm not sure if this helps anyone else, but it was surprisingly a 2 second fix. Thanks for the tip jaysun029!

Mar 14, 2014 4:06 PM in response to jaysun029

I can, sadly, confirm the above. I was having pretty consistent success with HomeSharing from my PC to Apple TV and iPhone, but iTunes 11.1.5.5 caused it to stop working completely, regardless of how many times I followed the Apple-provided steps or restarted equipment.

I dug out an old USB wireless adapter and used it in lieu of a (faster, more reliable, preferrable) hard-wired connection, and immediately my library was available to the devices.

I can't say I am anything other than disappointed that this would be the fix, that I have to use a slower and less-reliable connection to work around a bug (and HomeSharing has been unreliable for a LONG time before this particular bug), and I feel even more for users who do not happen to have a wireless NIC lying around to test. The reliability and costliness (in time and band-aid workarounds) of HomeSharing has tried the patience of many of us, and if other users are like me, I bought an Apple TV ONLY because of HomeSharing. Alternative products and solutions are appearing more and more attractive with each issue that crops up with HomeSharing.

Mar 14, 2014 4:45 PM in response to mattyb333

I'm glad to see that this workaround is working for others!

I truly hope Apple fixes this bug because there are MANY other options out there for folks to stream thier media to thier devices and TV's easily without so much effort. Apple products are by far a favorate for many, but this type of buggy trend is and will propel consumers to explore other options like ChromeCast an Roku to name a few.

Mar 15, 2014 12:42 PM in response to jaysun029

I'm seeing the exact same issue after the 11.1.5.5 update except that my desktop pc only has an ethernet port and I don't have a wifi option just sitting around. So basically, I can't use the workaround that seems to resolve this for others. This is really unfortunate because I have all my movies in iTunes and now I can't stream it to any of my 3 AppleTVs. Please fix this Apple! We stream movies from iTunes to the AppleTV at least once per week, usually more, and as of right now I'm dead in the water.

Edit: I found a solution that worked for me that didn't require the use of a wifi connection. If you have any of your iOS devices set to sync over wifi with iTunes, it seems to cause this problem. I plugged in my iPhone, went to its iTunes page, unchecked the 'sync over wifi' option, clicked the Done button, the closed and reopened iTunes. As soon as I did, the familiar airplay icon had returned and I was again able to stream to my AppleTV. There you go Apple, root cause found. Now you know what to fix! 🙂

Message was edited by: NCReid

Mar 18, 2014 11:23 AM in response to jaysun029

So, I have been struggling with this for some time. I think I found a fix, at least for iTunes on a 64 Bit Windows 7 machine.

1. Go to Start and Control Panel

2. Click on Windows Firewall

3. Allow features or programs through firewall.

4. Click Change Settings

5. Click Allow another program...

6. Find iTunes and add it.

7. Restart your machine

I did this and home sharing is consistently working for me now. I have rebooted the maching several times and each time it shows up as soon as I start iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Mar 18, 2014 12:33 PM in response to BZColorado

Well, I'm back and forth here but I completly disabled all Wi-Fi syncing for all my iOS devices and mine is working again. So now, the rules seem to be (for me) to connect my desktop via Wi-Fi and not ethernet, and disable Wi-Fi sync for my iPad's and iPhone.

I'm anxious to see what I will have to disable in iTunes NEXT! (sigh). At least I have Home Sharing working again. I really wish Apple would work these bugs out!!

Mar 18, 2014 6:00 PM in response to MrMatt68

Unplugged Ethernet cable from Mac mini and got same results tried on imac with wifi off and Ethernet only and worked first time..., both machines have updated everything... Disabled plex media server and Plugged cable back into Mac mini and it's working so I still don't know why but I am in agreement that it is a bug somewhere. Now that I think about it I will turn plex back on and see if it continues to work.

Home Sharing After iTunes Update to 11.1.5.5 - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.