Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The slowest computer on earth

Every click of the mouse takes between 10 and 30 seconds minimum. For instance the first sentence meant 10 seconds of the spinning rainbox disk. Every single action takes a long long time, not just Safari. I have emptied the cache, I have reduced the number of files on the desktop. I have run disk utlity and have been told "provisionally" that my harddrive is ok. I have reduced the number of program that open when I boot up. My CPU has been showing huge use of Address Book Synch useage (up to 99%) and now since I downloaded Retrospect 10 I am seeing huge useage for something called retroscan. The address book synch has always been a nightmare with the contact lists metastizing constantly but is that it? And if so how do I permantly disable it. I don't want it, I don't care, it does a lousy job anyways. I need to know what to do to fix this. I am at the end of my rope with Apple. I have been a customer for 25 years and my wife comes to look at this nonsense and says: how can you stand it. She's right. For 147 billion this is what I get? I am running 10.6.8 at a speed slower than my very first computer 30 years ago.

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 6:20 PM

5 replies

Mar 6, 2014 11:40 AM in response to CMCSK

CMCSK

I have 250 gig hardrive of which 107 gigs are available. I reinstalled OSX 10.6.3 from the disk then got the upgrade so I am back at 10.6.8 but it is still running slow. Not as, but still slow. I have made progress getting things off my desktop and am now concerned that according to Activity Monitor my Retrospect Scan and Address Book Synch are hogging my CPU. I have learned how to stop Retrospect Scan but not how to disable Address Book Snynch. Thanks

The slowest computer on earth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.