Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install dropbox after changing account short name?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a macbook pro and had parallels installed at the store. Since they installed it, the y created a user account with a dummy account name "macuser". When I got home, I changed the short name to a short name I wanted ("myname") without any problems. Everything seemed to work just fine. Then I tried to install Dropbox. I went to dropbox.com, downloaded their app and started to install. When I reached the point where the installation asks for permission to access my home folder, it referred to my old account name i.e.: "dropbox needs permission to access users/"macuser". Obvioulsy, when I type in my password I get an error message saying the home folder could not be reached.

Somehow the dropbox installation app seems to try to link to the home folder using the old short name.

I restarted the mac and logged in again, deleted the dropbox dmg and downloaded a new one. Started the process again and I still get the same error message.

Everything else works just fine, all my files open and I was able to install other apps wihout any trouble.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 3:07 PM

I'm having this very same issue. A few questions though:

1. Is the home folder name (macuser) still on you're HD? You might find it under Users>Deleted Users. If it is there I'm assuming that the folder is locked (little red circle on the folder). You might have to assign permissions to that folder by selecting it> get info> (look on the bottom at the permissions) then add your new name with read & write abilities.
  2. If you are like me and totally deleted the "Deleted User" folder... the error message that you get might not shed any light because I'm still waiting for an answer from Dropbox Support on that.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 3:07 PM in response to jvel84

I'm having this very same issue. A few questions though:

1. Is the home folder name (macuser) still on you're HD? You might find it under Users>Deleted Users. If it is there I'm assuming that the folder is locked (little red circle on the folder). You might have to assign permissions to that folder by selecting it> get info> (look on the bottom at the permissions) then add your new name with read & write abilities.
  2. If you are like me and totally deleted the "Deleted User" folder... the error message that you get might not shed any light because I'm still waiting for an answer from Dropbox Support on that.

Mar 23, 2014 4:08 PM in response to jvel84

Ok, I think I've found a solution.... what you need to do is create a user account with the old name (macuser) and make sure to make it Admin.

Restart your macbook pro and log in under macuser. Open the dropbox app if it's installed, if not reinstall it. Once you open the app and do your settings... go to the DB icon on your menu bar, click the settings wheel, go to Preferences and under Account Unlink this computer. This will unlink your computer but leave the files in the dropbox folder for this user name. Close the Dropbox app and restart your Macbook Pro.

Log in under the name you wish to use and either reinstall DB or open it. You probably will still get that message about permissions but this time you should be able to continue through with logging in. When you get the pop up message asking if you want to merge the dropbox folder or create in a new location make sure you select the Home Folder of the new user name and NOT the old name (macuser in this case).

At this point this is where I am and so far everything is working correctly. I intend on deleting my old user name and all of its files... but I'm going to wait until Dropbox puts everything in the new Home folder. 🙂

Apr 2, 2014 11:07 PM in response to Darla Mack

Thanks for the suggestion to unlink it from the dropbox app on my computer. I tried unlinking from Dropbox's website, but that had no effect. However, to save others a bit of unnecessary trouble, the following simplified version worked for me:

1. Simply re-create the old user folder in /Users. Mac OSX will prompt you for your admin password to do so, since the Users folder is a sacred location that you really shouldn't normally be directly manipulating.
  2. Now, run the dropbox install. It should go off without a hitch, since it can now find the folder it is looking for to do its thing. Unfortunately, it will still install the local Dropbox folder into that old fake user folder.
  3. Here, you do as Darla suggested, and choose to unlink your computer from dropbox using the command within the dropbox app settings on your computer. No reboot necessary before or after this step.
  4. Finally, re-install dropbox one last time, and you will be golden; it will put it in a subdirectory of your correct home directory, and you can delete the fake user directory you previously created.

Apr 13, 2014 1:27 PM in response to biszou

I didn't even bother re-creating the user identity. I only re-created the user folder, which I did then delete. So yeah, I'd say you're probably safe to delete the old re-created user identity; just double-check that when you go to the Dropbox menu and click the little folder icon to open dropbox's local folder, that it opens a folder under your current (new) user directory. If it does, you should be good to go for deleting the old.

Apr 14, 2014 1:17 PM in response to magicclaw

I deleted the re-created user identity "X" and then when I logged into my regular identity, dropbox was still looking for the for X's folder. So I followed your tip and recreated X's folder and opened dropbox again. At this point it said that there was already a folder with my preferred name and asked if I wanted to merge, which I did. After it finishes merging, I will delete the X folder and hope there are no more problems.

Jun 23, 2014 9:02 AM in response to jvel84

Hi there,

You probably have this solved by now, but I had the same problem and found the solution here (stack exchange site). As I was able to fix it on my machine, I wanted to let others know...

Here are the steps

1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

• Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

2. Download the newest version: www.dropbox.com/install

3. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, ONE AT A TIME, and press ENTER after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER.

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox

sudo chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

sudo mv ~/.dropbox-master ~/.Trash/dropbox-master.old

sudo chmod -N ~

sudo mv /Library/DropboxHelperTools ~/DropboxHelperTools.old

5. Open the .dmg file from step # 2 and double click the Dropbox icon to install Dropbox.

6. Restart Dropbox from the Applications folder.

Hopefully that does the trick for you as well!

Install dropbox after changing account short name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.