Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have problems updating Quicktime gives error message about not being able to access a Registry Key, then install backs out.

Computer Dell Inspiron 570

Operating System Windows 7 Home Ed.

I had problems using the automatic updater for I-tunes and Quicktime. So I followed the suggestion to do a direct download. I did that and was able to install the update for I-tunes. But when I tried to install Quick Time and the Quick Time Help applications I got this error message about not being able to access a Regestry Key and then the install backed out. I tried looking at the Properties for these two installers and I have administrator privelages so that can't be the problem. I am including Screen Shot(s). I await your suggetions on how to fix this. I had a similar problem updating Acrobat Reader and ended up having to tweak some Registry Keys. I wonder if I will have to do the same. I look forward to your response.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 12:54 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2014 10:00 AM in response to DogTrainer63

Although the following user tip is about iTunes, the procedure in it is applicable to other programs too. (It was adapted from advice on other programs, in fact.) So I'd give it a go with your QuickTime, AAS and Acrobat troubles too:

"Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbe rs]" error messages when installing iTunes for Windows

Mar 4, 2014 1:17 PM in response to b noir

Thanks b noir I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

b noir wrote:

Although the following user tip is about iTunes, the procedure in it is applicable to other programs too. (It was adapted from advice on other programs, in fact.) So I'd give it a go with your QuickTime, AAS and Acrobat troubles too:

"Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbe rs]" error messages when installing iTunes for Windows

I have problems updating Quicktime gives error message about not being able to access a Registry Key, then install backs out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.