Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.5.5 won't play any music

Everytime I click any music to listen to, I get the speaker icon to show that the music is playing however, the timeline that shows the duration of the music doesn't move and I have no sound at all... Even if I seek the timeline, it just won't move and there is no music playing at all Help??

Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 12:15 PM

Hey there ASTTrprDillon95,

It sounds like you are opening iTunes and trying to listen to music like you have in the past but now the playhead is not moving and your music is not either. I recommend using the following article to help troubleshoot the library named:

iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1717

Start with troubleshooting any possible 3rd party plug-in issues. There are additional steps to try in the article if needed.

Start iTunes in Safe Mode

Open iTunes in Safe Mode to isolate any interference from plug-ins or scripts not manufactured by Apple.

1. Hold down Shift–Control while opening iTunes. You should see a dialog that says "iTunes is running in safe mode" before iTunes finishes starting up.
  2. Click Continue.
  3. See if the issue you're experiencing persists in Safe Mode.

If you have the same issue while iTunes is in Safe Mode, proceed to the "Create a new user account" section. If you don't experience the same issue, follow these steps to remove third-party plug-ins.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2014 12:15 PM in response to ASTTrprDillon95

Hey there ASTTrprDillon95,

It sounds like you are opening iTunes and trying to listen to music like you have in the past but now the playhead is not moving and your music is not either. I recommend using the following article to help troubleshoot the library named:

iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1717

Start with troubleshooting any possible 3rd party plug-in issues. There are additional steps to try in the article if needed.

Start iTunes in Safe Mode

Open iTunes in Safe Mode to isolate any interference from plug-ins or scripts not manufactured by Apple.

1. Hold down Shift–Control while opening iTunes. You should see a dialog that says "iTunes is running in safe mode" before iTunes finishes starting up.
  2. Click Continue.
  3. See if the issue you're experiencing persists in Safe Mode.

If you have the same issue while iTunes is in Safe Mode, proceed to the "Create a new user account" section. If you don't experience the same issue, follow these steps to remove third-party plug-ins.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

Mar 26, 2014 12:21 PM in response to ASTTrprDillon95

I had this same issue today. I followed the link in the previous reply. My issue was the preference file.

Remove iTunes Preference files. Some of the files that iTunes stores settings and preferences in may be unusable. iTunes saves its preferences in two folders. Move one of them to the desktop and test to see if the issue persists. If it does, move it back and remove the second folder. The locations for the preference folders are:

c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes

I moved the preference file to the desktop and my files played again.

Thanks Sterling!

Jun 17, 2014 8:49 AM in response to 98kirstie

I have been really frustrated by this. It happens to me almost everytime I update iTunes. I have been wary to do so since the last time I got it working again.

Are you on a PC or Mac?

I am using Windows 7.

Have you tried deleting your iTunes preferences.xml files?

Sign out of the iTunes Store. Close iTunes.

In Windows 7 they are in your user folder in two places (local and roaming). I have had success when deleting both.

Restart your computer. Launch iTunes. Sign into the iTunes Store. You should get a pop-up asking you to agree to the terms of use.

It should play audio after all that.

One time I had to uninstall iTunes and reinstall in order to fix the issue. Not sure what is causing it.

Hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2014 2:41 PM in response to TredenPW

I have tried all of the above things and nothing works. There are no xml files in local or roaming folders. I have no idea what 'preference files' are and therefore cannot do anything about it...I've looked around to see if anything I'm seeing might be considered a 'preference file'. As a new user to any apple product, I'm astounded at how un-intuitive i-tunes is to use, how poorly designed the interfaces are and what a load of tripe is to try and get anything done with this wretched i-pod classic waste of rather-a-lot-of-money I've just been given as a birthday gift. It's taken me all day to get it set up and any music on it, but as above I cannot play a thing on i-tunes, whether from the library on the pod or in i-tunes. How can such a much lauded product, service and company be such utter rubbish? I've had a few mp3's etc and never had this kind of lengthy hassle with any of them. The help sections on itunes (when I can actually find it) is useless, the online manual is useless and is out of date and does not relate to the product (yes, it IS the right manual) and it's got tons of spelling mistakes and errors in it, which doesn't fill be with confidence (no, I don't mean the Americal spellings!) Am also on Windows 7 and a PC...could that be the issue? Does anyone have any other suggestions for sorting this out...? (no music playing, speaker icon shows and the Play icon turns into the pause icon as it does when a track is playing on ANY other music playing service or product, but no music and the play head timeline thing isn't moving).

Nov 9, 2014 6:21 PM in response to TredenPW

I had this same issue today. I followed the link in the previous reply. My issue was the preference file.

Remove iTunes Preference files. Some of the files that iTunes stores settings and preferences in may be unusable. iTunes saves its preferences in two folders. Move one of them to the desktop and test to see if the issue persists. If it does, move it back and remove the second folder. The locations for the preference folders are:

c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apple Computer\iTunes

I moved the preference file to the desktop and my files played again.

Thanks Sterling!

Hi Sterling

Thanks very Much.... I can finally listen to my music again.

These files were in my Roaming directory

Rich

iTunes 11.1.5.5 won't play any music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.