Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone pictures do not seem to be high resolution- can I change settings?

Hello.

I am at the beach. I have my iphone and my DSLR. When I am taking pictures with my iphone they do not seem to be high resolution. The tones do not gradually change and when the pictures enlarge (on my phone) they seem somewhat pixelated. When I email them 'actual size' they are around 600-800kb which seems small to me.

Is this normal or has a setting been changed on my phone? I have never used the iPhone for its camera but has always read great things about it. It seems like I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 5:23 AM

18 replies

Mar 4, 2014 5:36 AM in response to pensncrows

You do not have controls over the resolution except HDR, High Dynamic Range, which turns off the flash and then combines three exposures into one picture to give a greater definition and color image...not a true high def picture but gives you more dynamic range in the pic.

Compared to a DSLR you cannot get the same image quality, even at 12 MPixels do to the very small sensor size. Even a DSLR with a DX sensor is going to be huge in comparison.

Mar 4, 2014 5:50 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I agree about DSLR/iPhone comparison but something is set wrong on my iphone-it appears. My friend who has an older generation iphone has much higher file size resolution than I do. When we take the exact same picture and then email them to each other, my maximum file size is only equal to his 'medium' option.

It seems like somewhere I have something checked that is downsizing my photos.

Mar 4, 2014 5:56 AM in response to pensncrows

That is confusing, I cannot find any camera controls in Settings or in the Camera app other than HDR...and my photos range from full image at 2.4 MB on down when sending by email. So my raw size is 2.4 MB for an iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.6.

Have you tried a reboot by holding both the power and home buttons until the apple logo appears, ignore the red slider if that appears, to see if that resets things? Long shot but worth a try as it does not harm any data or content.

Mar 4, 2014 6:15 AM in response to pensncrows

The only other settings I can find are in Settings > Photos and Camera to turn the Grid on and off, and how HDR saves the image (the combined or both combined and base) in Photos.

You should definitely be having much larger image files with that iPhone.

Only thing I can think of is take it to an Apple store genius bar and see why it is taking such low content photos.

iPhone pictures do not seem to be high resolution- can I change settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.