Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.2 changes Computer's name

This is new with 10.9.2. Every time my late 2013 iMac returns from an overnight sleep, it tells me that the computer name is already used on the network (it isn't) and increments the name. E.g., if my computer's name is John's iMac, it changes it to John's iMac (1). Then if I rename it in Preferences back to John's iMac, it is renamed on the next return from an overnight sleep to John's iMac (2) and so on.

Anyone else seeing this and any ideas on how to prevent this annoyance?

TIA.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Parallels for XP, Win7-64, Win8-64

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:17 AM

There are several possible causes for this behavior.

1. Two (or more) computers on the local network have the same Bonjour name, such as "X's-MacBook-Pro.local". Resolve the name conflict by renaming one or more of them in the Sharing preference pane.

2. You have two simultaneous connections to the same local network: probably Ethernet and Wi-Fi. If applicable, disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off Wi-Fi.

3. A Mac wakes from sleep due to network traffic. This is a bug in OS X that may only affect some models.

4. A device that gets its network address from the router wakes from sleep, and the address it was using before has been assigned to another device.

5. A third-party wireless router has incompatible settings or firmware. In that case, refer to the manufacturer or ISP for support. Restarting the router may help, temporarily.

6. See also this support article.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2014 9:17 AM in response to JohnZonie

There are several possible causes for this behavior.

1. Two (or more) computers on the local network have the same Bonjour name, such as "X's-MacBook-Pro.local". Resolve the name conflict by renaming one or more of them in the Sharing preference pane.

2. You have two simultaneous connections to the same local network: probably Ethernet and Wi-Fi. If applicable, disconnect the Ethernet cable or turn off Wi-Fi.

3. A Mac wakes from sleep due to network traffic. This is a bug in OS X that may only affect some models.

4. A device that gets its network address from the router wakes from sleep, and the address it was using before has been assigned to another device.

5. A third-party wireless router has incompatible settings or firmware. In that case, refer to the manufacturer or ISP for support. Restarting the router may help, temporarily.

6. See also this support article.

10.9.2 changes Computer's name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.