Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Server 3.0.3 update breaks PHP<-->MySQL connection?

After updating Server to 3.0.3, phpMyAdmin no longer works: it gives error 2002, which is passed from MySQL and normally means a problem with the socket file that connects php and MySQL. In separate tests:

--Apache is working (I can serve other files)

--PHP is working (it displays the info.php screen fine)

--MySQL is working (using it from the command line has no problems)

In the past I've fixed this by editing php.ini to explicitly specify /tmp/mysql.sock (in 3 places) instead of leaving it undefined to use “MySQL defaults”.

--Did Server 3.0.3 somehow mess with this?

--Is there any way to fix this issue once and for all?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 8GB RAM, running OS X Server

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:26 AM

It's been reported that the update replaces the php.ini file, so if you made changes to it, you should redo them.

2 replies

Mar 4, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

That's just ducky! I have been away from OS X Server for several years, but back in the bad old days I used to have a similar problem with a modem initialization file, in which I had to customize one line. Sure enough, every Server update simply wrote over my change with a new file.

Wouldn't you think there'd be a way to avoid this nonsense? I have heard (somewhere) that there are such things as "override" config files, into which you can put your custom settings. They are read after the main config file, and any settings found in them that conflict with the default settings will take effect.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Probably saved me a lot of hair-pulling.

Server 3.0.3 update breaks PHP<-->MySQL connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.