Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dopushmail.com can create issues

Hello:

Want to relay this information because events started to occur on March 1, 2014 regarding the Mail app. There was an older iPhone application that was responsible for pushing mail. It has been defunct for quite some time and was removed from the app store. However, there were remnants left behind.

Symptoms: Suddenly, while using Mail app in Mavericks 10.9.2, I was receiving mail and able to send mail. However, the sender, who was using my mac.com address was receiving a bounce indicating that the mail could not be delivered because the domain did not exist. The primary was "dopushmail.com" and the secondary was "mac.com." Thus people thought that I was not receiving email, but some concluded that I was because I was supplying answers to their mail.

Since this started so suddenly, I contacted Apple support and was transferred to a senior advisor. He was very succinct and spread a large net, but promised to work until the problem was resolved.

I was asked to navigate to www.icloud.com and select the Mail icon. Then open the gear cog at the bottom to examine mail forwarding. Sure enough, mail forwarding had been activated and my name was apparent with the dopushmail.com domain. Once I disable this feature, the problems cessed to exist.

After resolution, I conducted a Google search and this is what I uncovered:

http://www.dopushmail.com

PushMail

PushMail servers are now shut down; two years after the app was removed from the AppStore. Forwarded emails have started to bounce since March 1st 2014. See below how to update your email configuration to stop sending emails to PushMail.

PushMail was the first iPhone application to use Apple Push Notifications to push emails to its users. Weeks before GPush, months before Boxcar, MailTones or GMailPush. I have spent quite a few years with you so far, and it was not a light decision to go offline. I have lived truly magic moments over these past months. I have decided to remove PushMail from sale for now, mostly beecause I do not have enough resources to keep supporting my users as much as I would like. Latest iOS 5 update has created its share of issues which I haven't been able to address in any satisfactory way.

PushMail code is available under the MIT license (which allows you to use it in commercial products). You can download it here.

How to stop sending emails to PushMail

It depends on your email provider:

• GMail: Go to the Gmail web site and then in Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Select “Disable forwarding”, or expand the first drop-down list and choose “Remove yourusername@gmail.com”. Finally click on the Save button.
  • iCloud: Go to iCloud Mail app on the web, then click on the cogwheel in the bottom left corner. Select Preferences and uncheck the check box in front of “Forward my email to:” line.
  • Live: Click on the cogwheel in the top right corner, then select “More mail settings”. Go to the “Email forwarding” page in the options and disable the redirection.
  • Unix-based systems: edit (or remove) the .forward file in your home directory.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 8:11 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2014 2:18 PM in response to MeisterFritz

Thank you for your post Meister Fritz.I am likewise receiving bounce back emails to dopushmail.com. I have an iPhone 5, however the errors are coming from Hotmail. I removed the mail forwarding to this domain that I had setup in Outlook.com and there are no rules configured, but I am still receiving bounce back errors from Hotmail. I do not use iCloud Mail nor do I have a mac email setup so I doubt this is the culprit. I’m wondering if anyone in the Apple community might have any other suggestions?

Thank you, John

Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 3:15 PM

To: <myname@live.com>

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server:

myname@dopushmail.com

Mar 23, 2014 7:11 AM in response to MeisterFritz

Hi:

As of 10 AM, EST, on 3/23/14, after following the suggestion in the above post, looking at the preferences in my me.com email settings and removing the (unexpected) forward instruction to dopushmail.com, I am receivin test emails I sent to my self from a gmail accoumt, but gmail is later sending me a spam notification that the email bounced from dopushmail.com.

FYI, Dennis

Mar 23, 2014 7:18 AM in response to ddesmarais58

Then one has to be suspicious of the gmail settings as well. That would be my suggestion at this juncture. Might see if JohnnieAppleSupport had any success with his dilemma. Might want to look at this with respect to Gmail forwarding:

Forward mail to another account

Gmail lets you automatically forward incoming mail to another address.

1. Open Gmail.
  2. Click the gear in the top right.
    User uploaded file
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
  5. Click Add a forwarding address in the “Forwarding” section.
  6. Enter the email address you want to forward to.
  7. For your security, we'll send a verification to that email address.
  8. Open your forwarding email account, and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team.
  9. Click the verification link in that email.
  10. Back in your Gmail account, refresh the page.
  11. Select the Forward a copy of incoming mail to option and make sure your new forwarding address is listed in the first drop-down menu.
  12. In the second drop-down menu, choose what you want Gmail to do with your messages, such as keep Gmail’s copy in the Inbox or archive Gmail’s copy.
  13. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

Note: While multiple email addresses can be added as forwarding addresses in the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, Gmail can only auto-forward mail to one address at a time. The address that is currently in use is shown in the drop-down menu next to “Forward a copy of incoming mail to.”

Tip: Use filters to forward

If you only want to forward certain kinds of messages to another account, use filters to forward messages that meet specific criteria. You can create 20 filters that forward to other addresses. Learn more about filters.

How to stop auto-forwarding

If you no longer want to automatically forward your mail, follow these instructions:

1. Open Gmail.
  2. Click the gear in the top right.
    User uploaded file
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
  5. Select Disable forwarding in the “Forwarding” section.
  6. Click the first drop-down menu after “Forward a copy of incoming mail to” and check for any addresses listed as “(in use by a filter).” To disable the forwarding filter, choose the “Remove” option.

dopushmail.com can create issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.