Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Music on different devices

I have both an iPad and an iPhone as well as a very large music collection. Each of my Apple devices has different storage capacities. I have already told iTunes that should only download selected songs to my Apple device. Because of different storage capacities, I cannot hold the same amount of music on each device. I am forced to the lowest common denominator.

Is there a way to be more selective when transferring music? It would be helpful to make selections global and then be able to refine selections for my iPhone versus my iPad.

iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 7:07 AM

Hello brmeeke,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with managing your music on your iPad and iPhone. Have you tried making separate playlists for each device and just syncing over that specific playlist?

The article below outlines ways to sync multiple devices with one computer. I recommend using the method of making a separate playlist for each device for the situation you described:

Sync devices to playlists

You may use multiple devices on a computer without creating multiple user accounts. To do this, you can set iTunes to update each device with only certain playlists. This method allows you to put all your music on, for example, your iPod and keep your iPod shuffle updated with only your workout music. Here's how to do this with iTunes:

1. Create new iTunes playlists on Mac and Windows that contain all the music you want to sync to each device.
  2. Sync your device.

Note: iTunes for Windows does not support syncing multiple iPod devices at the same time.

Find the full article here:

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2014 7:07 AM in response to brmeeke

Hello brmeeke,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with managing your music on your iPad and iPhone. Have you tried making separate playlists for each device and just syncing over that specific playlist?

The article below outlines ways to sync multiple devices with one computer. I recommend using the method of making a separate playlist for each device for the situation you described:

Sync devices to playlists

You may use multiple devices on a computer without creating multiple user accounts. To do this, you can set iTunes to update each device with only certain playlists. This method allows you to put all your music on, for example, your iPod and keep your iPod shuffle updated with only your workout music. Here's how to do this with iTunes:

1. Create new iTunes playlists on Mac and Windows that contain all the music you want to sync to each device.
  2. Sync your device.

Note: iTunes for Windows does not support syncing multiple iPod devices at the same time.

Find the full article here:

How to use multiple iPhone, iPad, or iPod devices with one computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1495

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Different Music on different devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.