Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders app alert time keeps disappearing on iPhone 4s

I use my phone's Reminders app frequently and have started having problems with the "Remind me on a day" option. Today I noticed that whenever I set a time and date for a reminder alert, it disappears after a few moments, leaving just the text I entered but no alert time (ie, a reminder to start dinner at 5:00pm on Tuesday will show up properly on the reminders home screen for a few seconds, and then the alert time will disappear, leaving just "Start Dinner"). Since the alert times keep disappearing, none of my reminders actually work at the moment. I also have weekly reminders that I've used for over a year but starting today they now show up as "(null), weekly" underneath the original reminder text.

I exited the app, restarted my phone and then did a hard reset, but nothing has changed the way the app is behaving. Creating a reminder through Siri just gives me the same problem. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with my phone so I'm not sure why it's not working properly. Thanks for any help you can give!

iPhone 4s

iOS7.0.6

Apple Reminders App (default iPhone app)

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6, default Apple Reminders app

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:21 AM

36 replies

Mar 4, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Amberglass84

I'm having the same problem. It started yesterday for me and I did all the things you did as well with no fix at all. I know there are others having the same problem so somehow we have to let Apple know about this. All the posts I've found with this problem has not gotten any response from Apple support at all 😟

Mar 5, 2014 9:38 AM in response to Amberglass84

@Amberglass84...I'm not really sure if it is. I've been googling this and I was reading this one persons comment and he was mentioning something with his reminders & yahoo...but the post was a few yrs old now so I'm not sure. But it sure would be nice if someone from Apple Support could actually help us here. I'm seeing more people with this problem but no answers on how to fix it.

Mar 5, 2014 1:59 PM in response to DoeZ

DoeZ, yes, I guess I do use my reminders with a Yahoo account. And my Yahoo mail has been kind of wacky lately, especially on my computer (the mobile app seems to work differently all of a sudden, but it's not doing things like the desktop version is doing, like not loading messages or deleting them but then they reappear). I stopped in at the Apple store in our local mall today, and first of all, I was quite disappointed with what seemed to be the customer service rep's lack of knowledge. I kept SHOWING him how when I added a reminder, turned on Remind me on a day, set an alarm, hit Done, and went back to the Reminders list, the time would appear under it for a few seconds but then suddenly disappear. Still, about three times he asked me things like, "So this happens after the time for the reminder has passed?" So right away I didn't have much confidence in him. Then, after what looked like him just playing around with it and trying different things, he said that I have to have the reminder selected in order for the alarm not to disappear. He also said that it must be a result of the newest iOS update. Okay, fine, that does seem to solve the problem, but why would it be happening all of a sudden when I updated my phone about a week ago? Also, I realized after I left the mall that I didn't think the alarm for the reminder we had set when I was there ever went off. I just tested it again now, and now the entire reminder disappeared until I selected Show Completed--where it was listed as selected with no time/alarm. I agree, it would be nice if someone could give us a solution!

Mar 5, 2014 4:03 PM in response to Cardpod4

WoW is all I can say right now about that Apple's Customer Rep you ended up dealing with. Hate to say this but I guess I'm a true "*itch" when it comes to dealing with stupid people. I have no patience for someone that's supposed to know about features or whatever else there is to know about an Apple's device. To stand there and actually play with your phone and yet not understanding how the app works...and yet ask you questions on how it works just doesn't seem right I most definitely would have taken my phone out of his hands and said..."I'd like to speak to someone who knows something about my phone like a manager/supervisor." So I'm guessing that you didn't get that chance to speak to someone with a brain. Very sad very very sad.

Ok so you use your Reminders with your yahoo account...and I do too...plus I've seen it posted with others and I've googled our problem and have seen others complaining about the same thing. What issues are you having with your yahoo account? And you said it was more trouble on your desktop with yahoo than your phone...that's just email stuff? When you're on your phone do you use yahoo.com for your email or you go into the mail contacts etc one for your yahoo? I don't use yahoo for anything else so I'm not sure what problems you're talking about. Although I'm writing this on my phone and I can definitely notice when I'm typing the letters are like invisible almost...as if I type it out and the letters catch up to the word. Strange. I think we need to let yahoo know about all this ad I think it could be them.

Mar 6, 2014 1:03 PM in response to DoeZ

I feel the same way about dealing with stupid people and/or people who don't know their job (makes me nuts), although I usually also worry too much about hurting other people's feelings to stand up for myself. Plus, I was running out of time to get my things done, and I didn't want to get hung up there. I wonder what would happen if I took it to a Verizon store.

I really only use Yahoo for mail, so I don't know if there are problems outside of email, but yesterday (and periodically over the past month or two) I was getting error messages when trying to open a message (e.g., "can't load message"), I'd delete a message but then when I'd click on my Inbox, the message would still be there--but then when I'd try to open it, I'd get an error message (because it actually had been deleted, but it was like the view wasn't refreshed, so it was still showing up). But maybe those problems are related to my browser (Google Chrome) versus Yahoo Mail. When I use Yahoo Mail on my phone, I use their app.

This morning I thought the problem with Reminders had been fixed because the alarm data wasn't disappearing. But the alarms still never "went off," and when I went back in to look at the settings, they were all back to off (even though they showed up in the reminders list!), and now they're also back to disappearing from my Reminders list again. So aggravating! I guess I'll have to use iCalendar from now on, but I don't think you can set that to remind you when you arrive or leave from a place (which I use pretty frequently), can you? And, yes, I'll also send an email to Yahoo.

Mar 6, 2014 6:18 PM in response to Cardpod4

I know how you feel...I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings either... but if they don't have a clue about what you're talking about on your iPhone when they should know everything about it...they better have their big kids undies on because then I've just wasted so much time explaining things to them 😠 Ha just be glad you didn't waste your time going to Verizon first...they would've sent you to Apple first.

I don't use Yahoo for anything other than my email and on my iPhone I added it from the mail, contacts, calendar thingy...and when I'm in my yahoo on my laptop and click the calendar I also see my Reminder List. Although I have no clue how to actually set a Reminder from it...I just see my list and that's it. So basically we've gotten no help from Apple...meaning that nobody that actually helps out in these forums has acknowledged our question. Meanwhile I see more people having this issue and they too are using it with their Yahoo account.

I'm gonna call Yahoo Customer Service tomorrow and tell them all about our issues and see what happens then. I don't know what else to do because between you and I we've tried everything to fix it. I'll let you know what happens.😎

Mar 8, 2014 5:50 AM in response to DoeZ

Hey, here's a new glitch! My son tried to text me on his iPod Touch, but it was as if his account was never set up. I had his messages going to an email alias I had created under my own Yahoo account (I also had his email address set up as an extra Yahoo email address. I vaguely remember running into problems setting it up when I had set up his iMessages originally, and doing that to solve it.) So I had to ask it to send me a verification email at his Yahoo address, but it wasn't sending one, therefore it wasn't verifying his account (although I didn't get any kind of errror message either--just the message "verifying..."!). So I deleted his alias and his address as an extra one under mine and just set up an independent Yahoo account for him. I had to add his email to my iTunes account, of course, and that also requires you to send a verfication email, but the same thing happened--never received one to his Yahoo account (and not in his Spam folder either)! It seems to me like Yahoo and Apple have become incompatible? I'm going to try to set it up with another email provider and see if I have the same problem. Did you have any luck with Yahoo CS?

Mar 9, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Amberglass84

Cardpod4 do you have that email or your email set up with a 2-step verfication? If you do you need to turn that all off before you can do anything. I ran into a problem like this and after speaking with Apple about this I ended up having to turn off my 2-step verification.

So last night I was on the phone with Apple for 3 hours plus...I ended up having to speak with a Senior Adv. because nothing was fixing it. We even went as far as restoring my phone to brand new and then putting my back-up back on...Still not working. So I just wrote to Yahoo and sent photos of this with it in hopes to get somewhere. I'll keep you posted.

Mar 11, 2014 4:23 AM in response to DoeZ

I checked my Yahoo account, and I had never set that up. Do you know if it's like that by default, before you set it up and "personalize" it? At this point, I think it would just be easier to create a new email address with a service like gmail!

Ugh, that's awful that you were on the phone with them so long--and only to have no answer still. I hope they can figure it out and we get some answers. Yes, please keep me posted, thanks!!

Mar 11, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Cardpod4

What part are you talking about setting up? The 2-step verification I mentioned for that email or the reminder list? The 2-step verification you need to set up before anything. It's just another way of protecting yourself from idiots. You'd get a code from your phone that helps you sign in on PC. But this stupid "Reminder" stuff is killing me. I had to do a total wipe of my phone and make it like a brand new phone again with nothing on it. And even after all that when I went to test a new reminder I'd put in...it did the same thing just shut itself off. Didn't say "null" tho just kept shutting itself off. I even made a new list not tied to my yahoo...did the same thing. So after all that I just went back in and restored my phone to the way I originally had it. I figured it wasn't anything on my phone and it had to be something with Apple itself and I wasn't going to spend hours just trying to remember what I had on here so that's why I just restored to the backup I had prior all this. I did call the guy I'm working with over at Apple and left a message that it didn't work again and I put phone back the way I had it. But I'm gonna try all this up on my PC to see if this works. Ugh this is just taking up my time and I've not yet heard back from the yahoo customer service guy I sent the pics too showing him these issues...typical. I just feel that with so many having this issue that they need to report it to Apple so they can fix it or at least look into it. They won't do much just because I say there's so many others. I think I'm gonna try to copy that list from my yahoo and sync it with iCloud and see if that works and if it does then it was yahoo all along. Besides when I make that list with iCloud it won't be lost or anything ya know. Just seems like I'm having too many problems with yahoo stuff. I do have a gmail but don't use it like yahoo because they spy on you and share things etc. but outlook is synced to Apple so might be worth a shot to start using them. I do t know anymore I'm at a lost

Mar 11, 2014 1:58 PM in response to DoeZ

Sorry, the 2-step verification for Yahoo mail. I went to Account Info, and under Sign-In and Security it says, "Set up your second sign-in verification," and when I click on that it says, "Get Started." So do I have to set it up and then go back and turn it off before I can set up texting on his iPod again? I still think I'd rather just create a whole new email account for him.

That's a good idea about testing Reminders on your PC. I did it this morning, and it works fine (like it always did) on my PC. The time I put in for the reminder is still listed there--even after almost 12 hours! <GASP> I have to give you credit, you have a lot more patience and tenacity with this than I do. I've just given up on using my Reminders. I will also report it to Apple, though. I'm pretty fed up with technology in general lately!

Reminders app alert time keeps disappearing on iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.