Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 Unsent Message...WHERE IS IT? Please help.

I have an iPhone 4S. OS 7.0.6. My mail service is MS Exchange. I recently typed a very detailed e-mail. I pushed send. The e-mail disappeared. At bottom of mail page, right below where it says "Just Updated," it says "1 Unsent Message." I want to try to resend the message or at least print it, or even just read it and retype it. But I cannot find it anywhere on my phone. It is not in sent, outbox, trash, junk, or drafts mailboxes. I really need this e-mail or I will have to redo 2 hours worth of work. Can anyone please help me find my "1 Unsent Message"? Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6, My mail service is MS Exchange

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 11:48 PM

It's not in Settings! Here are some more detailed instructions:

1. From the home screen open the EMAIL APP (NOT settings) by touching the 'envelope' icon (as if you were going to check your email).

User uploaded file

2. You should now be looking at your inbox, with the list of incoming emails. At the top left of the screen in the email app it says "< Mailboxes" in blue. Touch that to bring up the list of mailboxes (sent mail, inbox etc.)

User uploaded file

3. Scroll down this list (possibiy quite a long way) until you find "Outbox".

User uploaded file

4. Open the outbox and delete any message(s) with a red exclamation mark ⚠ next to it/them.

Hope this helps!

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 11:48 PM in response to nounix

It's not in Settings! Here are some more detailed instructions:

1. From the home screen open the EMAIL APP (NOT settings) by touching the 'envelope' icon (as if you were going to check your email).

User uploaded file

2. You should now be looking at your inbox, with the list of incoming emails. At the top left of the screen in the email app it says "< Mailboxes" in blue. Touch that to bring up the list of mailboxes (sent mail, inbox etc.)

User uploaded file

3. Scroll down this list (possibiy quite a long way) until you find "Outbox".

User uploaded file

4. Open the outbox and delete any message(s) with a red exclamation mark ⚠ next to it/them.

Hope this helps!

Apr 20, 2014 7:20 PM in response to markydee

I had a pesky unsent message on my iPhone 5S iOS 7.1. No message appeared in my Outbox, but my phone always showed "1 unsent message." The instructions below solved the problem for me.

1. Go to your "Home" screen

2. Click on the "Settings" app icon

3. Switch "Airplane Mode" on

4. Go back to your "Home" screen

5. Click on the "Mail" app icon

6. Compose a message and send it (any message to any recipient will do)

7. Once the message has been sent exit "Mail" by going to your "Home" screen

8. Start "Mail" back up by clicking on the "Mail" app icon

9. The outbox folder should now appear, click on it to open it

10. Delete ALL messages out of your outbox folder by clicking Edit, selecting each message, and then pressing the "trash" button for all messages.

11. Go to your "Home" screen

12. Click on the "Settings" app icon

13. Switch "Airplane Mode" Off

14. Go to your "Home" screen

15. Open "Mail" back up, the message should now be gone.

This worked for me. If this doesn't work for you try deleting each mail account and then add the account back again until the unsent message notice goes away.

Mar 30, 2014 4:48 PM in response to markydee

When it says "1 Unsent message" there is definately an outbox folder somewhere the email is in. It will either be a local one (most likely, since it had issues sending the email in the first place) or the one of your mail account. In order to edit/ resent that email just tap in the email body and it will re-open for editing.

1 Unsent Message...WHERE IS IT? Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.