Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you add a new line or line break in iMessage from an iPhone

I understand that a alt/option return will create a line break or new line from a PC or iPad for iMessage, but this is not possible to do from an iPhone with a more limited key board.

How do you create line breaks or a new line from an iPhone iMessage.

Thanks

Han

iPhone, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:32 AM

Use the "return" key....

9 replies

Mar 17, 2014 1:10 AM in response to hansolo415

The problem is that if you are posting on facebook and want to put a line break into your posting, pressing <return> publishes the post. I need a <newline> character (ASCII code 10) rather than <return> (ASCII code 13).

Other keys can generate accented variants (e.g. È é ê) by holding them down for a short period and sliding to the desired character. Maybe iOS designers should add this facility? It would certainly help me! How can we ask for this to be included?

How do you add a new line or line break in iMessage from an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.