Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant with a PC

Dealing with a lot of frustrations with my iMac and Wndows 7 PC (HP version)!!

I have the latest OS software on my Mac and have two desires to work with my PC:

1) I simple want to move some files. When I try to load the "Migratyion assistant sodteware from Apple on to the PC, it says it "did not install properly" and trying 3 times resulted in the same result. Any advice there?

2) I have VM Fusion software on my Mac to try to turn the PC into a virtual machine as I have applications on the PC that I would like to use on the Mac. So I do not want to laod a clean new version of Windiows on the Mac itself under the VM Fusion platform. But, again, I cannot seem to get the PC and Mac to "mate".

Anyone have a troubleshoot guide for that? One possible problem I saw is that potentially the virtual PC will not work if you have an original OEM installed version of Windows on the PC. Is that true? If that is the case that may be the problem. But that would mean any Windows PC would have to have a second installed copy of Windows and that seesm senseless.

Thanks,

brian

iMac & HP Desktop

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 10:33 AM

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408 How to transfer data from a PC to a Macintosh

User uploaded file

4 replies

Mar 4, 2014 11:20 AM in response to Avenel

If you want to move just a few files perhaps a jump drive would be just as good. Migration assistant is particularly useful when you are totally moving from one computer to another including contacts, email, iTunes, etc. For a few files a jump drive or even DropBox is more convenient.

As far as setting up Windows on your Mac, you'll need to install Windows as a guest OS in VM Fusion and this requires a commercial version of Windows. (I got mine from NewEgg - the OEM version from them works just fine). Your HP version of Windows will not work and I know of no way a mere mortal can copy the contents of a PC (OS & applications), move them into a virtual drive and have it work.

I had an issue helping a friend move from his PC to a Mac getting the PC Migration software installed. We deactivated the anti-malware software on his PC. (He was pretty paranoid about that so we disconnected the cable modem from his network!) That might be your problem.

Mar 4, 2014 11:46 AM in response to dwb

That is a big help. Ideally I would liek to be able to view my PC computer on my large Mac screen. They are in two differnt rooms but on the same network. There is a VM Fusion program that works to do that but appears that Windows blocks the ability to mate with an OEM installed version of Windows. So, if I got another copy of Windows (purchased) and installed it over my current copy on the PC, I guess that would work too? But I am afraid I might lose some of wwhat is currently on my PC.

Migration assistant with a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.