Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes locks up when I plug in my iPod

This started yesterday after I downloaded the most recent iTunes update.

I plugged in my iPod to sync up with some changes I had made to my songs list and iTunes froze up. My iPod still had the "do not diconnect" still up on the screen, but after 5 hours of waiting it was obivouse the only option I had was to shut it down through task manager. I did that and turned my computer off and let it sit for awhile. After rebooting and plugging my iPod back in, iTunes popped up a window telling me that I needed to restore my iPod. I did this, 4 times in a row (iTunes would not allow me to progress otherwise) After wipeing my iPod clean, I went to start to sync it up to get my music back on. Well it would download a few songs then freeze, resulting in me haveing to start the entire process all over. I tried working in small ammounts of songs at a time (10 songs then stop, disconnect, power down, reboot, and repeat) This was the only way it was letting me do anything. This morning when I went to continure, it told me there were corrupt files (again) and asked me if I wanted to run a fix. Maybe I should have just ignored that, because now if I plug my iPod in iTunes instantly freezes.

So basically, I'm stuck with an empty iPod (telling it to run the fix ended up earasing everything I had gotten back on last night) and I am unable to run iTunes if my iPod is plugged in.

Message was edited by: Nknzl85

Message was edited by: Nknzl85

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:37 AM

13 replies

Mar 4, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Nknzl85

Is there something specific I should check for in there?

... no, it's actually ruled out something I was wondering about. There's a freeze which hits people either when they plug in an iPod or try to go into the iTunes preferences. Folks with that have been getting past it with a complete uninstall/reinstall of iTunes and related software components. Unfortunately, that's not what you seem to be getting (since you can go into your preferences without iTunes freezing).

Mar 4, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Nknzl85

Under normal circumstances, an uninstall/reinstall doesn't touch your content. (That being said, it's still always a good idea to maintain a current backup at all times in case of disasters of any sort.)

... on the other hand, I'm not sure that the uninstall/reinstall is the first thing to try here. (Given that your preferences in iTunes are working fine.) The following document (or one of the ones linked to off it) might be the best one to try:

iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes

Mar 4, 2014 7:30 PM in response to b noir

OK I went through the trouble shooting list (there were a few things I couldn't do because having my iPod plugged in while iTunes is open causes it to lock up)

I just finished unistalling and re installing iTunes and it still freezes when I plug in the iPod.

iTunes seems to run just fine as long as my iPod is not plugged in.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Mar 19, 2014 7:38 AM in response to Nknzl85

Well something different happened! I plugged in my iPod while iTunes was open, and after letting it just sit for about an hour, it unfroze it'self. However, iTunes did not recognize the iPod...until about another hour later. I was able to sync 3 CD's worth of songs(over the corse of 2 1/2 hours) and then it just sat saying it was finishing the sync. I got up to let it do it's thing and came back about 30 min later, to find it saying it was starting the sync. After it had finished, I disconnected, unplugged, and looked at my iPod. I had 2 of the CD's I had checked off for it to sync, and about 12 that I had told it not to sync. (I only had OK'd 3 CD's so as not to over whelm the system)

I also have automatic sync turned off, but apperently that doesn't matter because as soon as I plugged back in, it went into a sync. I let it it for a bit again, and when I came back to it it wasn't showing my iPod being connected, even though the screen on my iPod said it was connected. Well after a few more hours of just letting it sit hoping iTunes would catch up like it (kind of) had been all day, I came back to a pop up window saying iTunes didn't recongnise the divice and gave me the option to force a dismount. I clicked that and big surprize...nothing happened. I ended up haveing to (yet again) close iTunes up through task manager. Oh and even though I hadn't restored my iPod, it wiped it all over again, so the little bit I had on there earlier in the day was once again gone.

I will point out, I never once had any problems before the latest update, and watching the other discussions, I know I'm not the only one having these and other problems.

Oct 18, 2014 6:41 PM in response to Nknzl85

7 months later and my ipod is still little more than a very expensive device to play solitaire on.

itunes still locks up when I plug in my ipod. I have not been able to get a single song onto it since I first started having this problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes countless times.

Has there been any news on this? Has Apple acknowledged there is a problem? Have they come out with a solution??

iTunes locks up when I plug in my iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.