Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks newest update has deleted 90% of my Mail rules ... how to recover them from TimeMachine?

I have justs performed the most recent Mavericks update and lost some critical things in Mail. One I can't seem to sort out how to recover is rules in Mail I have set up - I have almost 100 rules in place for 5 email addresses, so really need these back. Previous instructions I had indicated to overwrite MessageRules.plist and MessageRules.plist.backup, but neither of those files exist anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Time Machine

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 11:15 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2014 11:21 AM in response to JDI_office

I wish I had a solution for you. I've done many Mavericks installations and updates, but never lost anything. I don't have a clue what to suggest for you. Do you use iCloud? If you do it's possible the rules will get repopulated. Do you have a backup? If so, then you may recover them from your backup provided you haven't already backed up over the last one. If you use Time Machine you may find the files in a previous backup version.

Mar 4, 2014 11:28 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for responding. I do have my backup in TimeMachine, but the file names for the rules have changed. Since posting, I have found the file containing my rules (SyncedRules.plist). I can see the rules I created in there when I review the file in the finder preview column in my backup. I can drag yesterday's file onto my desktop and then repalce the current one. But the moment I open Mail back up, it reverts to the state that the update created for me this morning - with only 10% (or less!) of my rules in there. So, finding the backup isn't helping, since it just keeps overwiting the file upon reopening Mail. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Mar 4, 2014 11:33 AM in response to JDI_office

You need to restore all of the rule-related files from the older backup. Note you cannot simply drag files out of the backup. Restore them using the Time Machine application.

Please visit Pondini's Time Machine FAQ for help with all things Time Machine. Find the item in the list about how to restore individual files. Or you can open Mail, then open Help from Mail's Help menu and search for restoring files from a Time Machine backup.

Mar 4, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Kappy

I tried using the restore function in TimeMachine first, to no avail - I am very familiar with restoring from TimeMachine for a great number of past issues, usually with perfect results. Not this time.

Recently, having to set up a new Mac Mini from a TimeMachine backup resulted in losing my rules, and with JointVenture support from Apple, they had me pull the file out of the backup folder instead of using the restore, and that worked at that time. So, I tried both ways. Both have failed. Thank you for your suggestions, tho. It is appreciated.

Mavericks newest update has deleted 90% of my Mail rules ... how to recover them from TimeMachine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.