Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud weird thing

I have all macs, but I can't use iCloud on everyone because one is an eMac, so I must use drop box. Isn't a weird thing that apple iCloud doesn't support all Os? I could do the same I do with dropbox with ICloud but I can't.... bah strange decision by Apple... somebody of Apple can andswer me? Thank you

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 10:30 AM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2014 10:34 AM in response to myneck-n-myback

Nobody from Apple will answer you, no. These forums are strictly other users of Apple products offering help to their fellow users of Apple products.

If you are asking why Apple has not made iCloud fully backwards compatible with PowerPC machines like your eMac, the answer is obvious. Nothing Apple has done in several years now is compatible with PowerPC machines - the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported, and has not been for some time now.

Mar 4, 2014 2:39 PM in response to myneck-n-myback

? Of course it makes sense. The PowerPC machines are deprecated hardware as far as Apple is concerned. They do not make PowerPC machines any more (have not for years) and they provide no support for PowerPC architecture. OS X does not run on PowerPC machines and has not for years, nor does any of Apple's other software and Apple does not invest any time, money or effort in developing PowerPC applications any longer. It is an unsupported platform, period. Things have moved on and the PowerPC Mac is fading into history.

Mar 4, 2014 3:19 PM in response to myneck-n-myback

You have to remember that the PPC chips and the systems such as Tiger written for them don't contain the necessary commands to be able to handle more recent programs and facilities - it wouldn't be possible to get these to run on them even if you wanted to, the chips and system would have to be considerably upgraded: as they have been, to Intel chips and Mavericks.

Mar 5, 2014 3:11 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

This continue to have no sense. As dropbox that isn't big as Apple, can do a software that runs on every operating system, I don't know why Apple can't do the same. I don't want a Mavericks OS for my eMac but only to use iCloud, iMessage on all my macs and devices. Drop box do it, why Apple not?? Maybe Apple don't care about users with "aged" macs or devices??

Mar 5, 2014 3:48 PM in response to Csound1

Still not agree. Even a stone processor with Mikey Mouse can handle iCloud... I've worked on a computer shop as hardware and software tecnician and I know what I'm saying... the only reason that appear to me as the one possible is that if you want it you have to spend money and buy a new mac or device that run iColud. Don't think that this is what Jobs wanted... otherwise thank you I will leave my feedback where you suggest me.

iCloud weird thing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.