Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not have the SIM card of the phone I am trying to unlock, does this mean I cannot unlock it? Can I do something else? (Btw my carrier is AT&T)

I have an iPhone4 which I am not using (I upgraded to the 5) from AT&T. However, I am international and want to use the 4 abroad. I am trying to unlock it, and I got the confirmation email from AT&T claiming that I could unlock it 24 hours. Problem is, I do not have my old SIM card. I threw it away thinking it was useless, since now I have another SIM card (same carrier—AT&T) but for the iphone5. Is there any way I can unlock my phone without that SIM card?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 10:56 AM

You do not need that particular SIM card, but you do need a micro-SIM card in it to process the unlock in iTunes.

You can use any micro-SIM though - beg or borrow one for the few minutes you'll need it to restore the phone as new in iTunes and process the unlock. Once it is unlocked and activated, you no longer need the micro-SIM in it to use it effectively as an iPod Touch. The unlock and activation processes do nothing to the SIM itself - it just needs to be present for those processes to complete.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2014 10:56 AM in response to cristinaglez

You do not need that particular SIM card, but you do need a micro-SIM card in it to process the unlock in iTunes.

You can use any micro-SIM though - beg or borrow one for the few minutes you'll need it to restore the phone as new in iTunes and process the unlock. Once it is unlocked and activated, you no longer need the micro-SIM in it to use it effectively as an iPod Touch. The unlock and activation processes do nothing to the SIM itself - it just needs to be present for those processes to complete.

I do not have the SIM card of the phone I am trying to unlock, does this mean I cannot unlock it? Can I do something else? (Btw my carrier is AT&T)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.