Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Toshiba Canvio 1TB- Won't mount on Mac Since updated to Mavericks

upgraded to the new mavericks OS and now my USB jumpdrive and external hardrive will not mount. the external hard drive shows up in disk utility, but no where else. any ideas?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 12:57 PM

Im having the same problem with my External HD. I used it all the time and after I updated Mavericks it wouldnt show up in finder. I can see it in Disk Utility and its grayed out. I tried mounting it and it says that it cant be mounted. I plugged it into my windwos computer and it showed up just fine. So I can rule out the drive or the cord are bad.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2014 12:57 PM in response to djstylexx

Im having the same problem with my External HD. I used it all the time and after I updated Mavericks it wouldnt show up in finder. I can see it in Disk Utility and its grayed out. I tried mounting it and it says that it cant be mounted. I plugged it into my windwos computer and it showed up just fine. So I can rule out the drive or the cord are bad.

Mar 11, 2014 1:43 PM in response to djstylexx

Maybe you have a solution for me. I have a Toshiba external drive and it used to work on my old mac book. I have a new mac book and it doesn't read the drive. Doesn't show up even in Disc Utility. I spoke with Apple and we tried everything. They suggested I contact Toshiba. They couldn't help. I don't understand how you fixed the problem. I don't know what exfat is and how you formatted it.

Mar 17, 2014 12:16 PM in response to djstylexx

So my drive wasn't mounting but would show up in disk utility. Take the software that you originally installed that came on the HD called "Tuxera NTFS for mac" and throw that on a thumb drive. Then plug in the thumb drive and plug in your external HD and run the tuxera installer. It worked for me now my drive is mounted as it was before I updated to maverick. I don't know if any of yall tried this but it worked fine for me.

Jul 25, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Jalute

Hello. Having the same problem so I was trying to install Tuxera NTFS but I'm getting an error message:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s1

at /Volumes/TOSHIBA MM because the following problem occurred:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib

Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g

Reason: image not found

Could you please help? I don't have a Window's PC computer. I've always used this Toshiba external hard drive with my Mac OSX and it's been working fine, and still works on my work computer. The problem of not mounting started AFTER I installed Maverick on my home computer.

Thanks for your patience. I'm running out of mine. 😟

Nov 26, 2015 9:04 PM in response to TLiT99

Thanks a lot TLiT99..! You saved me just when I was about to drown..!!! I painstakingly moved all my files in the Toshiba Hard Drive to another one (211Gb = Hours), in order to format the hard drive in ExFat. I'm so glad that I read through the posts and special thanks to all those who thanked TLiT99. When I saw many "Thanks", I knew this would work. IT WORKED..!!! Thanks again TLiT99. I'm Happy..!!!

Toshiba Canvio 1TB- Won't mount on Mac Since updated to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.