Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will imovie import form Sony PJ540?

I'm having a really hard time finding out if imovie10 will import from a Sony camcorder (1080p/60) without needing to be converted. What about Canon PIXIA or Panasonic? The format listed at Sony is: Video Mode : HD: MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0.

I really don't want to wrestle with video conversion programs to edit video. Its a bad sign that I've been wrestling with the internet for an hour trying to figure out the answer.

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 2:57 PM

imovie 10 can import AVCHD 1080p 60fps but it will only share at 30fps so 60 fps input is only useful when you want to do slow-motion.

The Sony PJ540 is not on the list of cameras supported in iMovie 10

see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/10/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US.

but it may still be possible to import the video though you may have first to dowload it to a hard disk then import from there.

Geoff.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2014 2:57 PM in response to redbill

imovie 10 can import AVCHD 1080p 60fps but it will only share at 30fps so 60 fps input is only useful when you want to do slow-motion.

The Sony PJ540 is not on the list of cameras supported in iMovie 10

see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/10/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US.

but it may still be possible to import the video though you may have first to dowload it to a hard disk then import from there.

Geoff.

Mar 4, 2014 3:49 PM in response to GeeD

thanks, I actually do see it in that list:

Sony HDR-PJ540AVCHD / MPEG-4MemoryNTSC

I had seen the older list from imovie '11, which had a bunch of not-supported, so they must have improved it with imovie 10. which is confusing enough that they switched from yearly based versioning to a numeric based.

so, if I go with the Sony, it would be best to shoot at 30fps if sharing on the web, and maybe 24 if its something I want to burn to bluray (assuming my player/display supports 24)?

Will imovie import form Sony PJ540?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.