Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music bought on phone creates iTunes "stream" files that I cannot delete.

Hi there.

I have seen this posted in various forms/wordings/variants but wanted to share my experience and see if anyone has a solution.

My problem is this: When i purchase music on my iPhone, and then later on sync to itunes, it creates undeleteable "stream" files in the "on my phone" music section.

They are those greyed out dotted circle files. They are categorized as "streams" and if i delete them (manually manage music) they will repopulate as soon as I resync the phone.

This means that every time I buy a song on my phone as opposed to the mac, I end up with an extra 128kbps "stream" file.

I keep my itunes very organized, so when often times I will reinput genre tags or edit titles/artists. The metadata in the stream does not change no matter what I do to the appropriate file within iTunes.

I have tried re-syncing/de-syncing. Restoring phone (both from a backup and non) and straight up deleting. The files always come back, even if the song literally does not exist on either phone or computer.

Now, I CAN get rid of them by using the program "phoneview" app and going into the advanced settings and literally deleting all the itunes root files in my phone. But obviously something is going on at the initial purchase/sync stage that's causing the problem in the first place. Here's a screen shot:

User uploaded file

Thanks for your consideration and time!

-Jan

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 1:14 PM

14 replies

Nov 29, 2017 11:15 AM in response to dpatnmac

You could try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device to iTunes.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup (*) if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

(*) The downside with backup encryption is that if you forget the password when you need it again, which could be years later, you may need to invoke a workaround to turn off encryption as shown in Disable iOS backup encryption, which can only help if your device is in a state that can backup to iCloud or is running iOS 11.

tt2

Nov 28, 2017 1:59 PM in response to howmanywhales

Any solution other than using the phoneview app? It doesn't seem available anymore. I've got 166 songs that are duplicated as the "stream" file and taking up a bunch of space. At first these files were also duplicated in the music app on the phone, but I've at least got that taken care of now, buy going in and deleting them manually and then syncing. However, they still show up in iTunes on my mac as the greyed out Stream and take up extra space on my phone. I've tried everything that everyone else has already mentioned and nothing seems to get rid of these!

Nov 28, 2017 2:30 PM in response to dpatnmac

If you're seeing this on your Mac, I get this for any purchases where I've altered the tag (e.g. remove "(Deluxe Edition)" from the album name). I think iTunes does this since it sees the altered version as something different from what's in the cloud, so shows a duplicate "stream" copy based on the as-purchased tag values. I have never seen this on my Mac where I have not edited the tag. So perhaps that is your issue?

I do get this problem on my iOS devices when I order from the device, and the only way I've found to remove these is either the phoneview app, or brute-force the issue by changing the device to manual sync, manually delete all music from the device via iTunes, back it up, restore it, install the backup, then switch the device back to auto-sync.

Mar 4, 2014 1:21 PM in response to howmanywhales

I came here to day with this exact same issue, and your post was the first one on the list. Hopefully someone can help us with removing the "streaming" videos from the list of viseos on the iDevice.

Mine is showing episode 1 of Top Gear "streaming" in TV, and The Incredibles "Streaming" in movies. Those are the only two items I ever bought on the iPad. But the Incredibles was actually the free copy I got for downloading and signing into the disney movie app. I wonder if this issue is related? I don't recall which one I bought first, so I can't blame the Disney app yet.

Mar 4, 2014 1:35 PM in response to howmanywhales

a little update:

after doing a little more research, i now notice that the purchase DOES NOT have to come specifically from my phone. I just purchased something from iTunes via the mac, and the same thing happened.

I desync'ed all music from my iphone and as you can see, the stream files still exist. Purchased both on the iphone, and on the mac:

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2014 1:57 PM in response to howmanywhales

Yeah, I de-sync'd all movies and TV shows and the grey circled "stream" video still shows up.

However, I'm NOT seeing any movies, TV or Music as a greyed out "stream" UNLESS they were bough on the iPad.

User uploaded file

PS: Just noticed the date added for the incredibles is 12/31/69 5:00PM and date modified is 2/26/14 2:29PM - Not sure why the incredibles is dated 1969. iTunes iPad views says the "stream" was added on 3/4/14.

iTunes says Top gear was bought and added on 2/17/14, However, iTunes showing the iPad content says the "stream" was added to my iPad on 2/23/14.

Mar 4, 2014 3:28 PM in response to howmanywhales

Okay, so that's the folder that get's poulated when I buy music on my Mac and I have the iPad set to download news apps, music and books from the cloud.

Since I've already sync'd a playlist over to the iPad with that music in it, these are duplicates. But, if I hadn't gotten it sync'd over, would there be a way to delete just the "stream" items and leave the automatically downloaded purchased music?

Since all the files are long numbers ending in .m4a or .plist and none are m4v I don't know which single files could be removed to get rid of the "stream" files.

PS: What's in the "downloads" folder then?

Mar 4, 2014 3:33 PM in response to DocJekl

i literally deleted the entire "Purchases" folder and restarted the phone. it recreated the folder (except without all our problem files) as soon as it powered back on.

no idea what downloads refers to - i tried this process with that folder and it didn't change anything or solve the prob.

as for the syncing of the playlist - i still don't think that would solve it. it seems like there is a discrepancy being created whenever a song is downloaded from the store, period. and as for deleting the stream files - no. I switched over to manual manage, deleted the files manually, but they simply recreated themselves as soon as i did another sync.

It was indeed the purchases folder that needed reconciling.

as a fun side note - i used phoneview to make a PDF of all my 60,000 texts from the previous 3 years, and then deleted them from my phone - saving myself like 10 gigs 🙂

realizing now this could all seem like i'm some rep for the phoneview app. i swear i'm not hahahaha

Mar 6, 2014 7:55 PM in response to howmanywhales

FYI - phone view > delete purchases folder fixed it for me! but if Apple doesn't have a Proper solution they're just going to discourage people from buying on their iDevice.

Certainly makes me not want to purchase anything on my iPhone. I think in my case I either bought now and chose download later, or I aborted the download so I wouldn't fill up the device.

Oct 4, 2015 5:43 PM in response to howmanywhales

Just had this problem with iTunes 12.3 on MacBook Air running Yosemite 10.10.5 and iPhone 6 with iOS 9.0.2, using wifi sync. I'd delete the files from my iPhone (in iTunes on the Mac, obviously) then hit sync and the files would come back.

I eventually managed to get rid of them by secondary-clicking and doing "Reset Plays", then sync, then delete, then sync again. So it looks like the play count is what is keeping the Stream files alive. I'm sure I've seen that problem in another context.

Music bought on phone creates iTunes "stream" files that I cannot delete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.