Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: Changed functionality sounds tricky or not?

Hi,

Time Machine is acting differently as I am used to.

After a few weeks Time Machine comes with the message that the back up is controlled and that it needs to make a new back up to increase the reliability.

The message shows that the excisting back up will be deleted, that a new back up will be made and that it will take a couple of hours. I can select to start the process or do it later but nothing else. I have on my NAS a section of 1TB with a back up of approx. 750GB. In the past TM was to my opinion just doing an incremental back up and deleted the oldest back ups once the disk was full.

My fear with the "new" approach is that I could loose all my data once my MAC HD would crash during such "reliability improvement" back-up cycle. This does not sound as a fail save system and I miss the clue why Apple would put users at risk.

Do I misunderstood the process or is my concern correct and what could I do to avoid this?

Regards,

John

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.7GHz Core i5

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 1:22 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2014 1:16 PM in response to jacp

That device is unsuitable for use with Time Machine. I know this isn't the answer you want, and I also know that the manufacturer says the device will work, and that it usually seems to work. Except when you try to restore, and find that you can't.

If you want network backup with Time Machine, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external hard drive connected to another Mac or to an 802.11ac AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base stations support Time Machine, not any older model.

If you're determined to keep using the NAS for backup, your only recourse for any problems that result is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple.)

Mar 5, 2014 1:36 PM in response to jacp

Hi Linc,

Thanks for your time to respond.

It worked fine as of 2011 until I installed Maverick. From that point onwards I had various problems with TM.

It might be the NAS but I am also not to sure about Apple. I need to find anyhow a more reliable solution.

I still have no clue why TM is asking to make a new back up for improved reliability. It does not give any clue nor it gives me any option to continue. It just puts all my data temporaly at risk while my excisting back up needs to be removed. This does not sound like a clever approach.

Regards,

John

Time Machine: Changed functionality sounds tricky or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.