Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paid for 10.6, hard drive crashed, can't restore

I bought 10.6 upgrade for a macbook pro that came with 10.5 (10.6 was out 2 days later I think). My hard disk crashed. I have the 10.5 disks which I have re-installed but I downloaded 10.6. I would like to reinstall it, especially considering I paid for it.

What are the options.

Mike

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 1:42 PM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2014 1:59 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I started this escapade by going into an Apple store and the genius bar gave me a usb boot for 10,8.4 but it wouldn't work for me (he assured me would be able to use this to straighten it all out) because in order to reinstall you had to have bought 10.8.4 which I hadn't. So that was useless. I have it running 10.9 but I have a few things that need 10.6 and not later and not earlier to at least working with or export some things to other things etc.

Mike

Mar 4, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Appleiduseless

I can understand not wanting to pay twice.

Are you sure you're remembering this all correctly, however? Like I said I don;t remember 10.6 ever being a digital download under any circumstances. The updates (10.6.0 to 10.6.1 to 10.6x) were digital but going from 10.5.x to 10.6 always required a DVD. Maybe they sent you one to go from 10.5 to 10.6 and then you updated?

If you take you model identifier (found in System Information) you can use that to see exactly what OS version was shipped with the system, might jog your memory.

Go to iMac10,1 - Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model ... to get all the original specs for the system. Apple will send you the DVD for the original OS for a shipping charge. If 10.6 came out that soon after that system might be listed as having 10.6.

Paid for 10.6, hard drive crashed, can't restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.