Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Pro shuts down when I put it to sleep?

I go to click my mouse of keyboard and nothing happens. I click the power button the back lights up and turns on as if it were off, what gives? This is brand new 64gb ram, 12 core, didn't even do a migration so it's all new stuff on here.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 12 core, 64gb ram

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 2:45 PM

75 replies

Mar 6, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Chief Sneed

Hello Chief Sneed,

It sounds like your computer is going to sleep but when you later go to wake it up it will not turn on unless you press the power button and it looks to have shutdown at some point. I recommend checking to see if the computer is scheduled to shutdown at a certain time with the following article:

OS X Mavericks: Schedule your Mac to shut down or go to sleep automatically

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13914

Schedule your Mac to turn on, turn off, go to sleep, or wake from sleep at specified times. You might do this if you want to be sure your Mac turns off when you aren’t working and turns on before you come to work.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Energy Saver.
  2. Click Schedule, then select the options you want to use.
    • To schedule a startup or wake time for your Mac, select the “Start up or wake” checkbox. Choose a day or group of days from the pop-up menu, then enter a time.
    • To schedule a shutdown, sleep, or restart time for your Mac, select the bottom checkbox and choose the appropriate option from the pop-up menu. Choose a day or group of days from the pop-up menu, then enter a time.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Mar 11, 2014 10:31 AM in response to Chief Sneed

The same for me:

Macpro goes to sleep. After some hours sleeping it appears to be switched off. No mouse click or monitor on/off-toggle wakes him up. Plugging the main power cord and putting it on again wakes him up. But surprise: It ist still in the state when I put him to sleep.

Konsole reports no errors, but says that the machine was in hibernate mode.

What happens in (deep sleep) hibernate mode? No problems so far in suspend to ram mode.

Mar 11, 2014 11:15 AM in response to innocentius

I ran the power on tests, but no problems were found.

Made a call to the Apple support and they recommended:

SMC & PRAM Reset: (1) plugging power cord off for 20 seconds and in a second step (2) rebooting with cmd+alt+P+R pressed.

Then removing the systen preferances plist com.apple.LaunchServices.plist

Then clearing the contents of the Caches directory

Let's see how it works.

New Mac Pro shuts down when I put it to sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.