Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not working on iPad

For some reason my gmail has stopped working on my iPad just a couple of days ago. I purchase the iPad in early Sept 2013 and gmail has always been set up as a email account under settings (not the separate App). I have 2 email accounts and the outlook works fine...but the gmail does not open...the wheel just keeps spinning and the message shows...checking for mail...but nothing happens. I can access my gmail account through my PC or when I download it as an app but it does not work using the mail option as it was originally set up.

I have tried to correct the problem but it doesn't seem to help. 1) I removed it as an email account...then did a reboot of the iPad and after it was removed and rebooted...I added it back in under settings.the same problem is still there. I also made sure I was logged out of my PC gmail,account..to ensure there wasn't some sort of a conflict. I was able to download the gmail App and it seems to work fine except it does not operate the same as the mailbox option (which I prefer) instead of having a separate App.

Any solutions to this problem?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 2:43 PM

Hello Hgunn14,

It sounds like your Gmail account is not refreshing with new mail all of a sudden. Given your previous troubleshooting next I would close all the running apps on the device:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the phone again, and test the issue:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If the issue persists try resetting your network settings:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398

Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:

• previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
  • recently used Bluetooth accessories
  • VPN and APN settings

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2014 2:43 PM in response to Hgunn14

Hello Hgunn14,

It sounds like your Gmail account is not refreshing with new mail all of a sudden. Given your previous troubleshooting next I would close all the running apps on the device:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the phone again, and test the issue:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If the issue persists try resetting your network settings:

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398

Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including:

• previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
  • recently used Bluetooth accessories
  • VPN and APN settings

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Mar 8, 2014 1:17 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for responding however I am not having a problem with the Gmail APP or any other APP at this time

It is only since I have been having problems that I installed the gmail app and it works fine..but I prefer using this gmail account as the mail option rather than the gmail app.

The problem started only last Sunday and I have always (since last Sept 2013) had my gmail account under the mail option (using the option in general settings under..mail, contacts, calendars ).

I did remove my WIFI network settings as that was something I didn't previously try...then restarted the system and again added my gmail account back into the mail option but still does not work.

Apr 14, 2014 3:27 AM in response to Hgunn14

Hi folks, I have the same problem. Gmail will not load in Safari, but the App continues to work just fine. This is a very recent problem. I was reading my Gmail, went to refresh the Safari page, and now it will not load. No error messages, just a blank Safari page. I updated my iPad yesterday hoping this might resolve the problem, but it hasn't. I prefer to use Gmail on Safari over the App so any troubleshooting would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Apr 16, 2014 7:05 AM in response to m_zee

I thought I would let you know..my problem was resolved yesterday.not sure what the magic was..but I spoke to a person at the apple technical support and we tried several things..and could not get it working..so he directed me to visit my local apple store. When I went there..we again went through some of the same things and for some reason it started working...I can only suggest that you contact apple support..they are very fast at responding from the on-line request option and i am sure they could help you.

You might try what sterling had suggested..as those were again some of the things the apple rep took me through ..also ensure your data is first backed up in either iTunes or iCloud as they may want you to do a reset of the iPad.

Ps the reason...I took so long to call apple was I was out of the country and just returned (so I didn't have access to visit an apple store). (Good luck and I am sure it can be fixed shortly!)

Gmail not working on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.