Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (2008) networking issue

Hello,

My 2008 MP tower (running 10.9.2) lately has been randomly dropping network connectivity, both the LAN and Internet itself. Other computer on the network, both wired and wireless haven't experienced this issue, so I'm starting to think it's the tower itself. When the connection is lost my Network Settings tab will report that the cable is plugged in, but there's no IP address provided. The only solution has been to reboot the tower itself, which will return it normal - for a while (30 minutes to 2 hours before the next loss of data).

About a year ago the NIC card on the tower failed, or at least that seemed like the only remaining solution after exhaustive troubleshooting, and I've been using the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter with sucesss since then. While I would like to replace the NIC card with a new internet PCIe card I haven't had a lot of luck finding a new one that's compatibly with the newest revision of 10.9.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2008 Mac Pro Tower w/ failing NIC

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 3:36 PM

1 reply

Apr 15, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Mike.R9762

Hi. I'm having the same type of problem. 2008 Mac Pro tower. My wifi card died a long time ago, and my ethernet has recently been dropping the connection a lot, as in the symptom is reloading a web page several times. I've confirmed both my ethernet and wifi are fine via another computer, and have rebooted a few times. I had other odd behavior, like manual DHCP fails.

I had not thought about using a USB to Ethernet adapter until you mentioned it.

What did you ultimately do?

Mac Pro (2008) networking issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.