Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar events are duplicated on iPhone only

I have an iMac (OS X 10.9.2), iPad 2 (iOS 7.0.6) and iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0.6), all linked to iCloud with the same Apple ID. Calendar events are duplicated on the iPhone only. Why has this happened and how do I remedy it without losing events?

Steve.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), iMac 2.8GHz Core i7, 12GB RAM

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 4:02 PM

8 replies

Mar 4, 2014 5:16 PM in response to Ferd II

Hi Ferd II,

I have turned off all calendars that might seem to be duplicates, including one "On My Phone", one in "Subscribed" and one simply named "Calendar" in the iCloud group.

I now have only the calendars in the iCloud group selected, LESS the one named "Calendar". However, EVERY event in Calendar on the iPhone is duplicated. This is NOT the case for events in Calendar on the iPad or on the Mac.

Actually, I have previously selected and deselected various combinations of calendars, but have never been able to get the duplicates removed from the iPhone.

Steve.

Mar 4, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Steve Cooper

Steve,

Are all of your events properly displayed, without duplication on iCloud.com?

If so, I suspect that any "On My iPhone" calendars will add confusion and create the illusion of duplicates. If that is the case, and all of your desired events are properly displayed on iCloud.com, I would consider deleting any calendars on the iPhone that do not belong to iCloud. Add and Delete Calendars on the iPhone with iOS 7 | The iPhone FAQexplains how to delete iPhone calendars. I only have iCloud calendars on my iPhone.

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2014 9:30 PM in response to Ferd II

Ferd II.

Yes, there has never been a problem with the iCloud calendar.

I have just deleted all the calendars except one Subscribed calendar. I can't figure out how to delete (or unsubscribe from) this one. Is there a way?

[Later: I think I have found that a Subscribed calendar appears only on the Calendar where it was created (e.g. on my iMac's Calendar) and can only be delted from there. Would that be correct?]

Anyway, even after deleting all caledars except the iCloud ones and the Subscribed one, the problem of event duplication persists, in all but the Subscribed one.

I'm thinking that maybe I should simply delete and reinstall the Calendar app, but how could this be done? (I can afford to lose my personal calendar data.)

Thanks,

Steve.

Mar 5, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Steve Cooper

Steve,

If there has never been a problem with your iCloud data, the "Subscribed" calendar appears to be contributing to the duplicate problem.

If the "Subscribed" calendar orginates from "On My Mac" it is not capable of syncing with iCloud, and it can be deleted. If the iPhone contains the "Subscribed" Calendar," you can also delete it from your iPhone.

Just to be safe, first backup your ICloud/"On My Mac" Calendars: Calendar: Export and import calendars.

Deleting the Calendar App on an iOS device is not possible, but you can temporarily remove iCloud data from the iPhone by turning off the iCloud Calendar on the iPhone. The calendar data will not be removed from iCloud, but you will be offered the choice of keeping/removing it from your iPhone. Removing the iCloud calendar data from your iPhone may help you determine where the duplication orginates on the iPhone.

User uploaded file

Mar 7, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Ferd II

Hi Ferd II,

I have partial success, based on your advice and suggestions and a (new) understanding that the iCloud Calendar data is the "master" data.

I first confirmed that the iCloud data was correct and did not include any subscribed calendars. On the Mac I went to System Preferences > iCloud and turned off Calendar, electing to delete calendar data from the Mac. I then went to Settings > iCloud on the iPad and again turned off Calendar, electing to delete calendar data. I then repeated that exercise on the iPhone. This returned all calendar installations to the new default settings (i.e. one calendar named Calendar.)

However, a single subscribed calendar appeared on the iPhone ONLY, and all attempts to remove it failed -- the Delete Calendar function simply doesn't exist. The only available option was to choose its colour. Note that this is a valid subscription and continues to work properly despite the problems surrounding it.

I then visited each device in turn and reestablished the Calendar ON option in each of the iCloud areas -- System Prefs > iCloud on the Mac and Settings > iCloud on the iPad and iPhone. I'm very pleased to adivise that the problem of duplicated events has now disappeared, thus my original question is answered.

The question of the subscribed calendar remains. This calendar appears on the iPhone ONLY -- not in iCloud, not on the iPad, and not on the Mac. Since this appears to be an aberration I would like to delte that calendar and resubscribe anew. But, I can't find any way to delete it, or any instructions in iCloud Help about subscribing to a calendar that someone else has published. I wonder if you are able to make any suggestions ?

Many thanks for your help so far.

Steve.

Calendar events are duplicated on iPhone only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.