Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTFS for Mac Paragon - Mavericks - trash support?

So i've installed NTFS for Mac from Paragon on my Mac Pro, and it works well.

I've got my Lightroom catalog exported on this NTFS partition of a 3TB hard drive, and I can view all files both on Windows and Mavericks.

The only issue now, is that when i delete something, it gets deleted straight away without going to the trash first. Is there a way to make Mavericks add native trash support to this hard drive?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 4:28 PM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2014 6:19 PM in response to choronator

I am using Paragon NTFS on my Mac running Mavericks. Deleting files on the NTFS volume sends them to the Trash like it should.

The only thing I can think of is that I am using Version 10 of NTFS for MAc. I never upgraded to Version 11 (the official Mavericks one). Perhaps there is a bug in the latest version that causes this behavior.

Mar 4, 2014 9:33 PM in response to Studio K

The Trash is a complex illusion provided your your benefit.

When you Trash a File, it is marked as "In the trash" but is not actually moved at all. Thus the contents of the Trash could be on multiple drives using multiple File Systems -- it gets complicated in a hurry. And emptying the Trash can get Very complicated.

I have observed that when working with a Mac OS X Server 10.6.8, I often get the "... will be deleted immediately" message when deleting Server files directly. You may be seeing the same thing for essentially the same reason -- in some cases it just gets too complicated to keep up the illusion of a uniform Trash across multiple File Systems on multiple drives, some of which may also be Shared.

NTFS for Mac Paragon - Mavericks - trash support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.