Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade a Mac Pro 1,1 to be able to run Mavericks

Can I upgrade a Mac Pro 1,1 to be able to run Mavericks if I upgraded the processors to a pair of SLAED x 5365's? If not, if I then upgraded the firmware to 2,1 would that work?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 1,1, 2x3ghz, 12g ram, SSD, ATI 3870

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 5:43 PM

11 replies

Mar 4, 2014 7:05 PM in response to Scarbelli 1

A guy named Tiamo has posted a patch that lets you install Mavericks on a 1,1 or 2,1

All you need to do is replace the "boot.efi" file in 2 places.

I and many others have tested it and find it works beautifully.

The 2 caveats are that none of the original cards that shipped with 1,1 have drivers in Mavericks so you have to get a newer GPU.

The 7300GT, X1900XT, and Quadro 4500 are unsupported in 10.9.

Look at Netkas.org or MacRumours Mac Pro forum for details.

2nd Caveat is that some folks find that Message app doesn't like running from 1,1 but I think there is a work around.

Mar 4, 2014 7:11 PM in response to DPArt

Thanks for the info DPArt. I have updated my gpu to a ati HD 3870. I was looking into Tiamo's post. I wish that there was a post that step by steped it for people not so familiar with editing system files. Also, I got the impression that future updates from Apple would possibly break the patch or brick my computer? I'm really tempted to try it but it's my only computer.

Mar 4, 2014 7:27 PM in response to Scarbelli 1

His file has worked in 10.9, 10.9.1, and 10.9.2.

If you read the threads BEFORE you update you'll know what to expect.

It is approximately 1,000,000% easier if you have another Mac that can natively run Mavericks to create the drive.

Bare minimum video card would be a 2600XT Apple card. The 3870 will work if it has EFI but be aware that there is no OpenCl support, so things that would get help from OpenCl won't get that help.

I was amazed the first time I fired it up. Just about all of the other Macs from that far back are hopelessly stuck in the past, but the 2006 Mac Pro can still run current apps and OS.

A tricky part is that one of the boot.efi files is locked and so hard to replace.

There is a guy who has created an app that automagically copies the file everytime you shut down, this way you don't have to.

Making the installer work is a little trickier, hence it being easier if you have access to a 3,1 or later Mac Pro to create the drive.

Amazingly, even with the modded boot file, you will find that ti still works in 3,1 and later, making you wonder why they made it exclude the 1,1 to begin with.

May 9, 2014 7:25 AM in response to DPArt

Hi

Love reading these posting it is a great help, thank you!

I have been struggling with this conversion for a while now. Just realized that the boot.efi was locked and this is why I failed to convert my 1,1 to 64bits I will try to get this unlocked with Disk utilities and Fix Permissions If not I will try to erase the file through the Terminal

DPArt mentioned

"There is a guy who has created an app that automagically copies the file everytime you shut down, this way you don't have to."
Could you please provide the link? Thanks.

I had to use XCode with the Package Editor to add my MBord to the list of acceptable boards for the Mavericks installation.

Thanks again!

Ted

May 9, 2014 7:32 AM in response to Scarbelli 1

Scarbelli 1 wrote:

Thanks for the info DPArt. I have updated my gpu to a ati HD 3870. I was looking into Tiamo's post. I wish that there was a post that step by steped it for people not so familiar with editing system files. Also, I got the impression that future updates from Apple would possibly break the patch or brick my computer? I'm really tempted to try it but it's my only computer.

There is a lot of good information on getting Mountain Lion and even Mavericks onto first-gen Mac Pros at www.xlr8yourmac.com.

Dec 4, 2014 7:50 AM in response to ted from rio rancho

There's a great thread on the MacRumors forum about upgrading the 2006 Mac Pro to Yosemite (running like a champ on my 1,1) which also contains links to many of the mods referenced above (including the script that replaces the boot.efi files every time you shut down) for doing the same with Mavericks. The first post is updated frequently as new info comes out and so is a good source of general information. Here's the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775

Dec 4, 2014 8:09 AM in response to kahjot

also check out a thing called SFOTT. It's trick is that it builds 64 bit kernel on top of, and requiring, the 32 bit kernel.

These hacks sometimes offend Readers who see them as ways to steal Mac OS X and run it on unauthorized hardware, to create a Hackintosh. This stuff, described on oemden.com, helps you install on an older Mac Pro, but cannot be used to build a Hackintosh.

Upgrade a Mac Pro 1,1 to be able to run Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.