Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6 doesn't open older files

After updating to Mavericks and Keynote 6.1, I tried to open an old keynote file and got "this presentation can't be opened because it's too old. To open it, save it with keynote 09 first". Problem is, I don't have keynote 09 anymore. How can I retrieve this presentation?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 6:02 PM

28 replies

Mar 5, 2014 3:04 AM in response to Themis Matsoukas

First you said you updated, therefore if you have not deleted Keynote 5.3 or are using a different Mac, the previous version it is still avaialable in the iWork 09 folder in Applications. You should use that.

Alternativley, either find the old version and install it, open files using a Mac that has Keynote 5.3 installed, buy iWorks 09 from ebay or re-do the presentation in Keynote 6.1.

The best advice is; use 5.3 for existing presentations, use 6.1 for new presentations.

Mar 5, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary Scotland wrote:

The best advice is; use 5.3 for existing presentations, use 6.1 for new presentations.

This is the craziest thing I've heard... Can't open my keynote files in a single app? So here is what I did, sacreligious, but it works: I found an older mac that runs Keynote 09, converted the old presentation into ppt, and then read the ppt into Keynote 6.1. In other words, thank you Microsoft for fixing Apple's screw up.

Themis

Jan 16, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Themis Matsoukas

I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the problem today. Apple support was only "Load it in the old '09 and export it again". They even suggested trying Microsoft products to convert it! Amazing! Anyway, if you're interested, there is at least a hack to get it to work. Haven't written a script to do this in general, but it worked for me.

1) Make a copy of your file, say blah08.key to blah09.key

2) in the new copy, blah09.key, control-click and "Show Package Contents"

3) There is a file called index.apxl (or possibly index.apxl.gz). If the .gz, then double-click and you get the without the .gz (and delete the .gz version)

4) Control-click the index.apxl, open with "Other" and choose TextEdit

5) In the big mess at the beginning (first couple lines), there is key:version="72007061400". Change this to key:version="92008102400"

6) Save the file, and exit TextEdit

7) Rename the new copy, blah09.key, without the .key part - blah09. You'll get a complaint about removing the extension - do it anyway.

8) Now it's a folder! Control-click the folder blah09, and compress, making a blah09.zip.

9) Rename blah09.zip to blah09.key - again a complaint, but do it anyway.

Poof! Openable again! Let me know if it works.

Why Apple doesn't include this easy fix, I have no idea.

Jan 17, 2015 5:30 AM in response to bblais

Try resetting Keynote, perform all the steps in the order listed:

1. remove Keynote version 6.5, you must use an application removal tool for this procedure to work: Appcleaner is free, I use Appzapper
  2. empty the trash
  3. Shut Down the Mac (Apple menu > Shut Down)
  4. wait 10 seconds, then press the power button
  5. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key, release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple screen
  6. start up will take a few minutes longer than usual as the Mac is performing a repair routine
  7. restart the Mac normally, (don’t hold down any keys during startup)
  8. install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Jan 17, 2015 8:21 AM in response to bblais

Hi,

I tried your scheme, but it doesn't work for me.

My Keynote files were made under Snow-Leopard on an iMac with Keynote 8 (version 4.04).

I tried this on a week old MacBool Pro.

It is incredible that Apple has chosen this route.
They assume that we all still have Keynote 9 on a Maverick machine to do all the preparations (which in itself is a crying shame)

for making the file readable by Yosemite. Otherwise I should buy Version 9, which is a financial burden for a short time use.

Apple is worse than Microsoft in backwards compatibility.

Jan 17, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Gary Scotland

As others noted already my version of Keynote on a week old MacbookPro does not open files older than version 9.

Your proposed fix involves a final new download of Keynote fromm the AppStore.

But afaik this will involve a payment of some 20 dollars, which I hate to pay for Apple's unfriendly behaviour.

I haven't seen a way to download new copies of the applications that Apple bundles with the delivery of the computer.

Is there a way?

Jan 17, 2015 8:37 AM in response to jbaars

this will involve a payment of some 20 dollars, which I hate to pay for Apple's unfriendly behaviour.

No it does not, once you purchase an application from the Mac App Store, future download and install are unlimited and are free as long as you use the same Apple ID.

Open and log in to the Mac AppStore application, select Purchases tab, click Install next the Keynote.

To force an Install again, Keynote must be completely removed from the Mac as outlined in my procedure earlier.

Jan 17, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Keynote doesn't show up under purchases (before deleting). It was installed when I got the machine, so probably not tied to my apple id. I am certainly not going to delete it unless I know I can get it back! 🙂

any way to check that? How are those installs done anyway, when you order (In fact it was my school that ordered it).

thanks.

bb

Keynote 6 doesn't open older files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.