Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garage Band Loops and Instruments after OSX Mavericks

Hi All,

I updated to Mavericks OSX from OSX Leopard(not a fresh install) about 4 months ago and I got the new Garage Band and bought the additional loops for $5.00 dollars. It worked well and I was even able to load the Old Garage band sounds from Legacy in the New Garage Band. Both versions of Garage band even worked beautifully side by side.

However, I had to do a fresh install of Mavericks OS (wiping my drive clean). Here are my issues:

1. When I loaded the New Garage Band I don't see the Legacy appearing with the Old Garage band sound.

2. I installed the old garage band but the most of the loops and the entire instruments are missing.

3. I don't see where to go to download additional loops in the old garage band - I don't recall seeing these loops and instruments in the new Garage Band.

I even tried installing the loops from the original DVD that came with my 2010/2011 13 inch Macbook Pro but nothing worked.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 6:08 PM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2014 8:39 PM in response to live groove

Have you tried the "Restore Purchase" command in GarageBand 10.0?

Main menu bar "GarageBand > restore Purchase"?

The easiest way to restore all instruments and loops would be to restore them from your backup:

You need to restore certai folders from the System Library - the "Library" folder at the top level of your Macintosh HD:

• All folders with "Loops" in their names from "/Library/Audio/"
  • Any missing instruments in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/
  • Any missing instruments from /Library/Application Support/Logic/

After reinstalling, restart the system and rebuild the Loop index in both GarageBands:

Mar 5, 2014 11:17 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for trying to help. I read your suggestions - appreciated but, I became kind of confused.

Anyways I thought that what I needed to do was to uninstall Garage band 6 from my macbook pro.

1. I did just that - uninstalled Garage band 6 from my laptop - totally.

2. In the Applications folder where Garage Band 10 (the new Garage Band) is I created a new folder and called it a name I liked(any name will do).

3. I dragged the garage band 10 to that new folder I have created - this way Garage Band 10 does not exist in the Applications folder anymore.

4. I then got the Application DVD that came with my macbook pro , inserted it and select custom install.

That way I get the uption to install Garage Band 6 and its Jingles and Loops ONLY by unchecking all the other bundled applications (iweb, idvd ect.)

5. Garage band 6 then installs directly to the application folder.

6. Opened Garage Band 6 from the application folder and I saw my original instruments and loops.

7. To get the additional loops for garage band 6 I select one of the greyed out loops and I got a prompt to download additional 600MB of loops ect from Apple.

8. I clicked Ok to download the loops and My App Store was opened; after a few secs the I saw the additional loops appear in the update. I clicked update and the update of 1.2gb took approximatly 10 minuites to download.

9. I restarted my Macbook pro and opened Garage Band 6 and all my loops and instruments were there and worked quite fine in OSX Mavericks.

10. I then opened the folder with Garage band 10 ( the new Garage Band) and it opened - even while Garage Band 6 was opened. The instruments from the old Garage Band was automatically added to the new garage band as legacy.

I am happy.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues Garage Band/OSX Mavericks.

For trying to help - I will share a track I composed some time ago with Garage Band:

https://soundcloud.com/real-live-bliss/her-wrong-side-theme-music

Garage Band Loops and Instruments after OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.