Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting between iMessage and Blackberry

I am an iPhone user. A couple of weeks ago, I received a Blackberry for work. My job provided it as well as the phone number. When I was setting up the Blackberry, I sent my girlfriend a text. She was sitting next to me. The text went through to her iPhone as a text. She responded to the text and it sent as an iMessage. Obviously I did not recieve it, but someone else responded! I do not understand how that happend. Here is what it looked like.

Text Message

Hi <~~ me, text box in white

iMessage

Hello <~~~ girlfriend, text box in blue. I did not recieve.

? <~~~ sent back in white box, still under iMessage. From someone unknown.

Then tonight, I received a text from someone that I don't know. The text came through as if it was in the middle of a conversation. I don't know what the deal is, but I am kind of worried. Like I said it is my work phone and I don't want someone with an iPhone I work with try and text me and have it go to another iPhone user instead of my Blackberry.

The service provider is At&t if it matters.

Please Help!

p.s. I am not a Blackberry fan. I would much rather use my iPhone. But it's what my work provides.

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 7:51 PM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2014 4:26 AM in response to Brm9714

I'm sorry... I must not have been clear in my post.

The blackberry was given to me with a new number.

Any iphone that texts that new number, goes to someone else as an iMessage. I know it's impossible for someone to have the same number, so I'm wondering if it's someone's iPod, iMac, or iPad.

So is it possible the new number use to be attached to someone who had an iphone? Does att recycle numbers like that?

Mar 5, 2014 6:07 AM in response to Brm9714

Are you certain they are sending messages to the new number? Most likely they are replying to an existing message thread which will send to the same number the message was started with.

The only other reason the message would be delivered to someone else, is if someone else is using your Apple ID for iMessage.

Change your Apple ID password.

Oct 4, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Brm9714

I know this is an old post, but I just ran into this EXACT problem. It has nothing to do with your iPhone since it's a separate number; no need to turn off iMessage on your iPhone.

I believe the issue lies with your new number...it was most likely associated with an iPhone previously. You can go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage and unregister the phone number from iMessage. Worked for me (and I still have my iPhone for personal use).

Cheers!

Texting between iMessage and Blackberry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.