Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

files icons

Hi everyone,

I've got a probleme with the iWork suite. I've deleted the office for mac programs (word, excel, power point) and finally installed pages, numbers and keynote.

Everything wors well but:

• The files i create with iWork doesen't shw the program icons (like the pages icon, ecc) and shows the white generic icon
  • The files i had on my mac with the office extesnsion shows the same problem: a blank icon

Any idea to fix it?

I'm running osx mavericks on a MBPro Retina Aug. 2013

Thanks!

Filippo

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 1:14 AM

2 replies

Apr 30, 2015 6:14 AM in response to filippobich

I had a problem of similar nature, with respect to .torrent files. Before, my default torrent client was utorrent, so naturally, all my .torrent files would show utorrent file icons. But I unistalled utorrent. Then i reinstalled utorrent. Upon reinstalling utorrent, however, I noticed that .torrent files are now showing blank icons in finder instead of the utorrent file icons i had before. That despite the fact that utorrent is now my only and default app for opening .torrent files.

So what I did is to clear my icon cache and that fixed my problem.

You can clear your icon cache by following these steps:

1. Close all active applications

2. Run terminal

3. Type the following command:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store

4. Terminal will prompt you for your admin password, so type that it and hit return

5. Reboot your mac

Good luck.

Apr 30, 2015 11:25 AM in response to filippobich

Your MS Office documents now do not know about a default application to open them, so they are blank. Select one each of a Word, Excel, and Powerpoint document. Press control+command+I (capital i). This opens a Get info window. There is an Open with section on this panel. Change the respective Office applications to use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote as the default opening application. Click the Change All… button for each document category.

When you double-click, or use Quick Look (select the icon, then space bar), the correct Apple application will open these documents.

By default, the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote document icons will reflect the first page image of the document.

Launch the Terminal, and type the following. See if it fixes your Desktop icons, which sometimes paint with the application icon, and not icon preview.

killall Finder

files icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.