Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Book Studio II - Overheating Experiences ?

Good evening all !

This is just a call out for anyone who's been using the WD 2TB Externals over the past couple of years ? I've bought a few - like 3 or 4 I cant remember, to use for backup disks for data using either retrospect or Time Machine. Just asking your experiences about the drives/power supplies/issues you might have come accross...

Ive had to look at 2 of them today, returned from a site where I had been using them for direct FW 800 connect backups ...

I've had some power supplies go on me and thought that was the issue today but now believe I have had an overheating problem which may have "partially" fried the board ... By partially I mean 1 of the 2 is mounting and I going to run utils on it tomorrow, but the other starts (when its cool) mounts but open the drive folders in Finder is excruciatingly slow, and by the end of the day I have given up after trying to reformat it and re-raid it and Ive had to force quit the WD Drive app ...

What I did notice was that when disk utility was trying to access the disk/s they were really heating up, I mean Ive touched hot disks before and this wasnt quite that hot but the board that runs the enclosure is between the 2 drives so I am thinking the enclosures interface board is partially or now fully fried !

Ive since bought a LaCie Big drive which looks a bit more heat dissipation friendly ... I hope so (for $600AU) !

Anyone else come across similar ?

Mitch

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 3:17 AM

I have used Lacie drives (Seagate inside with 3 of them), but they all had much shorter lifetime (2 years) than expected. This was 3-6 years ago.

I am using a lot of portable externals, of which I have three years of experience with 3 WesternDigital: very good but never install the smart software that comes with them (this goes for all makes).

I use about ten other makes, that I buy as internals (or they come from the macs where I change them by SSD's) in bought enclosures; Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, etcetera, no problems at all.

I try to avoid Firewire connectors and use USB3 lately. I had some issues with Firewire earlier, I think Thunderbolt is too expensive, and USB3 speed is so high, that the HD's are operating at max speed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2014 3:17 AM in response to Mitch

I have used Lacie drives (Seagate inside with 3 of them), but they all had much shorter lifetime (2 years) than expected. This was 3-6 years ago.

I am using a lot of portable externals, of which I have three years of experience with 3 WesternDigital: very good but never install the smart software that comes with them (this goes for all makes).

I use about ten other makes, that I buy as internals (or they come from the macs where I change them by SSD's) in bought enclosures; Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, etcetera, no problems at all.

I try to avoid Firewire connectors and use USB3 lately. I had some issues with Firewire earlier, I think Thunderbolt is too expensive, and USB3 speed is so high, that the HD's are operating at max speed.

WD My Book Studio II - Overheating Experiences ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.