Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange scratches on Macbook Pro screen (black frame)

Hello! Does anyone had this kind of issue? It started with a small "scratch" and then is becoming worse each day.

These scratches are all around the black frame, the screen is perfect.

I never used any product on the screen, only the cleaning cloth who came with the macbook.

:(

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 6:45 AM

Same problem here. My lovely, beautiful MacBook Pro suddenly has these same 'scratches' or smudges on the black frame. In the exact same spot, too. I can't really tell if this is the coating coming off or something that's happening behind the glass of my screen. How much time would it take to fix this? Does Apple replace the complete screen? I really can't miss my MBP right now, because I'm writing my Master's thesis. And I'm guessing this would be done for free by Apple, am I right?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 6:45 AM in response to madsenfelipe

Same problem here. My lovely, beautiful MacBook Pro suddenly has these same 'scratches' or smudges on the black frame. In the exact same spot, too. I can't really tell if this is the coating coming off or something that's happening behind the glass of my screen. How much time would it take to fix this? Does Apple replace the complete screen? I really can't miss my MBP right now, because I'm writing my Master's thesis. And I'm guessing this would be done for free by Apple, am I right?

Oct 5, 2015 1:03 PM in response to madsenfelipe

I had the same problem, so I took it to Apple (the mac is about 11 months old). They replaced my display (which took 3 days - including the weekend) and now it's like new. 🙂 I was told that the problem is that I was using a spray to clean it. The spray that I used was bought from Apple (so that i can be sure that it won't harm it), but turned out that it's not a guarantee. So, I was advised to just use the cleaning cloth that comes with the mac (with no sprays at all) from now on. Hope that helps.

Strange scratches on Macbook Pro screen (black frame)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.