Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto on macbook not responding

It has always worked flawlessly until now. Last time it was open I was in the middle of editing a photo in the edit function

and the battery went flat. Upon turning on computer again, I open the program, and the window opens, but nothing functions.

Doesn't matter what I click or how long I wait.

The little colourful spinning 'beachball' appears after a second. The only funtion I can do is to force quit.

I've tried the alt + cmd and open the icon (as suggested elsewhere), but I don't get any options coming up, the program just opens and doesn't respond.

I'm on a Macbook Pro OS X, v 10.7.5.

Iphoto version 9.2.1

I unfortunately don't have the photos backed up, and would like to save them, but I can't seem to access them, even if i go into it through finder.

Please help. I'm not sure what to try next. I hope this is enough information.

😕

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 6:01 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2014 11:59 AM in response to KatP24

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder:

User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto.

NOTE: For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

OT

Mar 5, 2014 12:17 PM in response to KatP24

Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library database - it sound slike you library was corrupted by improper shutdown

And if your photos and other files have any even small value to you you must immediatelhy start a good backup - Time Machine is included with your computer - all you need to do is connect an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and launch TM - with no backup you are 100% guarenteed to lose them sooner or later

LN

Mar 6, 2014 3:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Sorry to be such a dummy, but I can't seem to find that folder:

There is no Library folder, and I tried the veiw options, but the option isn't there. My options only go so far as the text size, anything visible on yours from there down isn't on mine, even with the preferences the same.

Where is the 'containers' folder?

It's not anywhere I can find. Nor is the com.apple.iPhoto file. I found a heap of other similar files, but not the same as what I see on your pictures, and not in the same place.

Sorry, I know it's frustrating working with a technologically handicapped person!

Thanks for your help so far.

KatP24

Mar 6, 2014 3:28 AM in response to LarryHN

I tried the alt and command key while launching iPhoto, and it doesn't do anything. I don't get any options. It just launches and then immediately doesn't respond.

I can't access the photos at all. I find the files, but I can't do anything with them. I can't select them, or open them, or save them, or even drag and drop to another location. It just won't allow me to touch them basically. Hence why I can't back them up.

Any suggestions?

Mar 6, 2014 3:33 AM in response to KatP24

but I can't seem to find that folder:

Kat,

the Library folder is hidden by default since MacOS X 10.7. So it is difficult to find.

Use the Finder's "GO" menu: Click anywhere onto the free Desktop background, to bring the Finder forward.

• Select the "Go" menu entry in the main menu bar and hold down the "alt/option" key ⌥, until the library appears in the drop down menu.
  • Select and click "Library".
  • In the window that opens select the "Containers" folder, and then open User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

Mar 6, 2014 3:35 AM in response to KatP24

I tried the alt and command key while launching iPhoto, and it doesn't do anything. I don't get any options. It just launches and then immediately doesn't respond.

Did you hold down the ⌥⌘-keys long enough? Hold them down firmly, click the iPhoto icon, and continue to hold down the key combination, until the "First Aid panel" opens.

Iphoto on macbook not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.