Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.9 VPN Server for non-apple devices

How can I configure OS X Mavericks VPN server to let other non-apple devices connect via PPTP/L2TP?

I have a Zyxel Keenetic which has an option to connect to VPN servers and I wanted this device to connect to my home network. The router has a lot of options to configure vpn connections including verification with login/password + PAP/CHAP/MS-CHAP/MS-CHAP v2, meanwhile OS X VPN server offers neither of this options. Is it possible somehow solve this problem?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 5:36 AM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2014 1:33 AM in response to IBerliozipad

VPN is VPN. There's no specifically Apple flavour of VPN. When you set up VPN look at the options it offers you and choose from those that your other devices say they can handle. All the options Apple supports are in the Graphical Interface you see when you set it up.

Using VPN from home would not normally be done at the router level. You'd normally set up each of your devices with VPN settings. If you want to make your router talk VPN it would normally be talking VPN to another router at your other site -- ideally the same model of router -- not to a computer.

Mar 6, 2014 1:58 AM in response to Simon Slavin

Ok let me rephrease...

Is it possible to somehow tweak native OS X VPN Server to activate or to install on Mac OS X some third-party VPN server suporting chap or MS-CHAPv2 authentication?

I believe that normally home rouetres are not so good for creating VPNetwork, but I have successful experience with zyxel and have no options for the device (it doesn't handle any VPN connection). So if we are trying to solve current problem as is - is it possible?

Mar 6, 2014 2:58 AM in response to IBerliozipad

No, a device isn't going to let a server install random software on it. And the server wouldn't have a huge list of software suitable for all devices anyway.

Among your other problems, you should know that MS-CHAP is called what it is because it's specifically a Microsoft version of CHAP. I wouldn't want to use it with anything Microsoft didn't make.

Ignore your router for a moment. Let's see if your server's VPN is working properly. Can you configure one of your computers or other devices to use the server's VPN ?

Mar 6, 2014 3:08 AM in response to Simon Slavin

I do not insist on all devices or MS standarts. I have one device which cannot install MAC OS X Profile or certificate to connect OS X. All other devices (2 macbooks, ipad, iphone) - everuthing connects to the VPN flawlessly, without any problem - I really enjoyed the sharing profile feature.

But still this non-apple device supports PAP/CHAP/MS-CHAP/MS-CHAPv2. If we all don't like MS and are not going to use MS-CHAPs, is it possible to configure on the server PAP or CHAP?

OS X 10.9 VPN Server for non-apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.