Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - No keyboard/touchpad when I try to install windows pls help !

Brand new MacBook Air i7/8GB/256Flash. Original 10.9.1 install. Update to 10.9.2 -> no problems.
Starting Bootcamp Assistant -> Formats USB Stick/Copy Win7-64 image / Download Supprt Files -> Make BootCamp Partition ->Everything ist fine.

Now the Notebooks starts without any problems from the USB Stick and the Windows Setup is loading.
When the first Windows Setup screens come up where it asks for Language and so on I have no keyboard or touchpad to select and press "next"

I tried the following things:
- external USB mouse/keyboard -> no effect -> don´t work - no keyboard/no touchpad/mouse input is recognized

- made my own Windows 7 image without bootcamp assistant -> don´t work - no keyboard/no touchpad/mouse input is recognized

In my opinion the problem is that the USB Ports are not recognized. But I have no idea to solve the problem.

Any help would be great !

kind regards

chris

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), BootCamp Problems

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 6:58 AM

9 replies

Mar 5, 2014 10:34 AM in response to tug-

Thanks for the tip. No Chance. I tried about more then 3 different Bootcamp Versions. 5.1.5640; 5.0.5033,........

Nothing changed. Actual I hear something about that I should use an USB 2.0 Stick instead of a USB 3.0 Stick.

Many people have this problem and I´m wondering that Apple Support don´t know anything about this problem.

And the hardware is fine, The software is a clean install, And I did this 100 times on other macs....

Mar 5, 2014 10:55 AM in response to chris_vienna

ok. now win 7 came out in 2009. the win 7 64bit you are trying to install is just the basic os with no updates and only the very basic drivers. so win 7 will only recognise a usb mouse that is older than the os, any usb hardware such as mouse/keyboard wich is newer than the os will not be recognised.

please try this, get your hands on a very basic wired mouse that is at least 5 years old, not optical, nothing fancy, go back into osx connect the mouse and then go again into win 7 setup. you can then use the onscreen keyboard in windows.

usb 3 should be fine with the updated bootcamp. it is working on your air. the problem is within the windows platform.

Mar 5, 2014 11:09 AM in response to tug-

Hi Tug !

Thank you very much for your tips and replys !

I also think it´s a problem that windows can not deal with the keyboard and touchpad from the actual macbook air.

But Apple has to care about bootcamp drivers/emulation that it´s possible to install win7.

I tried a 5 year old microsoft mouse. that´s for shure not USB 3.0. Also I tried a very old USB Keyboard. No chance. Windows Setup starts - No chance to push the "next" button.

Now I read another article that I should wait at the first Windows 7 setup screen for 1 hour.... Then I can use keyboard/touchpad... Happy to have an intel i7.....Will try this now. The USB 2.0 Stick didn´t help :-(

I´m so wondering tha´t not everyone have this problem who wants to install bootcamp at a new MacBook Air ? I did nothing bad with this specific Air. Installing notebooks is my buisness every day :-(

Mar 5, 2014 12:29 PM in response to chris_vienna

Are you sure a usb2 stick didn't work? Every time we had a frozen kb etc issue turns out we used a usb3 key and was solved by using a usb2 one instead. If you tried the usb2 route, you have to let boot camp assistant do everything from the start, so I would DL a W7 ISO from here and let BCA put that along with drivers on the usb2 stick.

http://techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Mar 7, 2014 4:32 AM in response to turbostar

Problem "solved"......

But I´m not shure how I did it.

After 10 trys with USB 2.0 Sticks and different Win7Images I realy had no idea more how to handle this problem.

So I deleted every Partition and made a CMR+R clean install over the Internet.

Then again the exactly same procedure like before with the Bootcamp Assistant + USB 2.0 Stick, reboot -> Everything is fine and up and running.

I was realy wondering. The only difference in my case:
not working : Got brand new MBAir 10.9.1 -> update to 10.9.2 -> Bootcamp -> No keyboard /touchppad

working : CMD+R clean install into 10.9.2 -> Bootcamp -> No problems anymore.

The first time in my life I had this problems with bootcamp.

thanks to TUG and Turbostar for their tips ! You gave me moral support :-)

Bootcamp - No keyboard/touchpad when I try to install windows pls help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.