Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ads pop up in Safari - how to stop

I am having ads pop up on every page in Safari from adnxs.com among others. The code does not come from the page, but from Safari. How do I stop them.

Thanks for the help.

Terry

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 6:30 AM

33 replies

Apr 4, 2014 5:45 AM in response to Terrence R. Redding

I just started noticing this today as well. "Block pop-up windows" is selected in Security, but the ads are a'poppin' up anyway. Looks like its a new exploit. Very annoying. You say that the code doesn't come from the page, but that isn't likely. My guess is that the site is utilizing a javascript routine to bypass the pop-up blocker. It's probably buried in one of the linked libraries in the header, but you said it's not in the code so maybe you checked that. Another option is that the advertisers are serving the javascript code through the ads that are already on the page.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

All in fun,

Douglas

<Edited By Host>

Apr 4, 2014 12:55 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

Aw, Apple censored me. I didn't say anything cruel or mean. I honestly thought

█████ needed some help answering questions.

Terry, I found this thread because the new pop-ups were bugging me, too. This exploit is very new and only happening on spammy sites so the tech news rags haven't picked up on it yet. No helpful solutions out there, either. People complaining about it are mocked for not turning on their pop-up blocker. If I hear of anything I will be sure to post a link here for you. Please do the same. Good luck.

Douglas

ads pop up in Safari - how to stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.