Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Music on ipod classic

I have some compilations, playlists and other music on my ipod. They were also listed on iTunes when I connected the ipod to my computer and transferred an additional playlist from the iTunes Library on my computer to the ipod. However, the music are no longer listed on the ipod. The entire music which included compilations, playlists, etc are no longer showing up even in iTunes! Instead, on the ipod menu, the Playlist option indicates there is 1 file on it but it is not accessable. I suspect it was created when I used the sync option although don't know what sync does. Actually, this one playlist does not even show up in iTunes when I reconnect the ipod to my computer. Instead, I see "Other" which takes up 39GB on the device (exactly the size of the music I had on the ipod before the problem).

What has happened to the music on my ipod?

Please help!

Thanks

VAKiri

iPod classic, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 9:12 AM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2014 10:59 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi TT2,

Mine is not a Mac and quite a lot of my music were not purchased from the iTunes store.

I'll like to know the effect of my using the Sync as far as the music I had on the ipod are concerned: have I lost them? The playlist is showing I have 1 item. Was it automatically created when I used Sync? I seek advice on how to recover this item on the ipod.

Actually I downloaded a free copy of a software called PodTrans Pro some minutes ago. The free copy has a restriction of 100 as the maximun number of files it can handle. However, I found the item listed as "Back Up1-2014-03-05-original" with an option to recover. I didn't go ahead because of not knowing what to expect (i.e. whether it will only recover the first 100).

VAKiri

Mar 5, 2014 11:17 AM in response to vakiri

The method in the iLounge Article is free and should be platform neutral... With luck the lost media is still taking up room in the hidden folders but no longer indexed by the devices database. If so it can be recovered. If it is no longer in the device's file system undelete tools may yet be able to recover lost files.

iTunes expects you to sync your devices with a single library. Some can be manually managed from multiple libraries but you should always have all your content in one library, backed up, ready to be used to update or restore your devices. Anything less is a recipe for disaster.

tt2

Missing Music on ipod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.