Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Audiobook - Apple refuses to fix the problem

I have gone back and forth with Apple support over the last two weeks and have become incredibly frustrated. A while back, we purchase an audiobook through the iTunes store. After listening to it, my wife removed it from her phone to make room for others. Recently, she wanted to listen to it again, but it (along with one other book) did not show up in our re-downloable files on iTunes. One of the books we were able to get back no problem.

However, and this is where the frustration begins, I was told the other book (Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett) was unavailable to us. After little back and forth and some digging, the book actually is available, but the content owner had modified it since we first pruchsed it. Apple has refused to give us the new version. Here is their e-mail providing their explanation:

We are unable to reload the audiobook back to your account due to it has been modified in iTunes Store by content provider. We no longer have access to the one that was purchased. Due to the timeframe of the purchase, we are unable to grant a refund as well.

I argued that the content is exactly the same as before and that they could give us the new version. They pushed back again. I then sent them this:

Why are you unable to give me the new version?

And if you can't, please get someone who can.

To which they replied:

We are unable to grant a new version of the audiobook if the originally that you purchase was available we would be able to. I have reviewed your situation and have provided Apple's answer. There is no further escalation point or anyone I can transfer you to that is going to provide a different answer at this time.

Not only is Apple refusing to give me what I paid money for, they fail to provide a satisfactory explanation for why they won't. I feel as though I've been cheated and this deters me from buying audiobooks and music through iTunes. Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 9:07 AM

You got what you paid for; the initial download. Audiobooks are not and never have been available for re-downloading. It is incumbent on the user to keep backup copies, as it is for any content in case the content owner removes an item which they can do at any time. If your wife failed to keep a backup, then Apple is not obligated to provide a re-download, just as a store would not be obligated to replace a CD if you lose it. Sometimes the iTunes Store can and will grant exceptions, but not in all cases. In this case, Audible.com has apparently changed the item and the original one is no longer available and hence the iTunes Store is unable to replace it.

Sorry, but if they have refused a free re-download, there's nothing further you can do. You are free to purchase from any other store you feel will give you better service, but carefully examine the terms offered. Many stores have similar restrictions.

Regards.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2014 9:07 AM in response to tracerbullet23

You got what you paid for; the initial download. Audiobooks are not and never have been available for re-downloading. It is incumbent on the user to keep backup copies, as it is for any content in case the content owner removes an item which they can do at any time. If your wife failed to keep a backup, then Apple is not obligated to provide a re-download, just as a store would not be obligated to replace a CD if you lose it. Sometimes the iTunes Store can and will grant exceptions, but not in all cases. In this case, Audible.com has apparently changed the item and the original one is no longer available and hence the iTunes Store is unable to replace it.

Sorry, but if they have refused a free re-download, there's nothing further you can do. You are free to purchase from any other store you feel will give you better service, but carefully examine the terms offered. Many stores have similar restrictions.

Regards.

Mar 5, 2014 9:56 AM in response to tracerbullet23

Yeah, the replies can often be less than complete which is often frustrating , but in fairness, they have to address probably thousands of requests a day and are probably limited by Apple management and legal in what they can say.

Audiobooks are a very unusual case in the iTunes Store. My guess, and this is just my guess, is that since they're provided by Audible.com which is owned by Amazon, Apple's not been able to obtain the same licensing terms they have for other content and hence can be less flexible.

Regards.

Jul 6, 2015 10:46 AM in response to mattmoniker

mattmoniker wrote:

its a lesson to not buy ANY audio books from iTunes.

Or, dear user, it is a lesson to remember to take personal responsibility to yourself back up all purchases from any online vendor. You would not (I hope) expect a CD Store to replace a CD you had misplaced. I know it is comforting to blame Apple for your oversight...

Jul 6, 2015 11:46 AM in response to mattmoniker

I only judge because you yourself are hasty to condemn Apple for a policy the origins of which are nicely outlined by varjak paw. I hazard to suggest If you are not able to personally accept the consequences of the loss that possessing an iPod without access to backup was premature, particularly since back then re-downloading any purchases was not possible. I used to live in a hurricane area too and at the time made sure I had backups in different locations (all done with floppy disks pre-Internet) of important documents and study.

Lost Audiobook - Apple refuses to fix the problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.