Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transitioning from a crack copy to a legitimate copy of fcpx...

Well as you can see from the title I have been a naughty boy. I feel honestly is the best policy if I have any hope of recieving helpful information.

I have been editing a feature film for some time now on my copy of FCPX which was given to me by a friend. I naively did not check what version of the software it was and what that version would enable me to do.

The version is 10.0, so i have no hope of exporting an XML, OMF or utilizing Xto7 in order for my colour grader and sound mixer to use their own desired programs.

I would like to update my FCPX and in doing so gain a legitimate copy of the program and pay for the software from the app store.

When I search for FCPX in the app store, there is no price, merely an update button. I am terrified to press this as I suspect that during the update process it will become apparent that my copy of the program is not genuine, and i may lose the months of work i have put into the edit.

I know there are lots of walk throughs out there about transitioning your projects to newer versions of FCPX and the introduction of libraries, however, what i am after is insight into the the transition from crack to legitimate version of the program.

I would greatly appreciate anybodies help and plead that you do not judge me for using a crack.

Peter

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 10:33 AM

You need to completely remove the old copy. This document will help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149

I recommend after deleting the Application Support files, restarting your Mac. It's been reported that there is a background process that caches preferences and even if they're manually deleted, the background process will restore them from its cache.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2014 10:33 AM in response to Peter Trifunovic

You need to completely remove the old copy. This document will help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149

I recommend after deleting the Application Support files, restarting your Mac. It's been reported that there is a background process that caches preferences and even if they're manually deleted, the background process will restore them from its cache.

Mar 5, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Peter Trifunovic

Oh - well - you'll be ungrading to FCPX 10.1.1 from an older version. Your Events and Projects folders will not be touched by FCPX 10.1.x. You will be building a newer structure after upgrading called Libraries. You can have FCPX do that for you automatically, but you might prefer to manually rebuild those events and projects.

This page has a lot of references: http://fcpx.tv and go down to the section labelled:

Updating toFinal Cut Pro X10.1 Libraries...

These will help you out considerably.

Transitioning from a crack copy to a legitimate copy of fcpx...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.